Harvesting two hearted yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
About to try a Bells Two Hearted and give harvesting the yeast from the bottle a stab. I read a few things about harvesting but never really saw anything that I thought was definitive about actual measurements that are appropriate to make a good starter. Based on a few things I saw here is what I thought about trying:

Day 1: Combine bottom feed of two bottles of two hearted with 200 ml DME and 20g water.
Day 3: Step up with 400 ml DME and 40 g water.
Day 5: Step up to 800 ml and 80 g water.

This should get me a starter of around 1.5 liters which I would think is a decent starter for a 5 gal batch.

Am I on the right track or completely clueless? Thanks in advance for your help.

I believe that Bell's uses the same specialty yeast for all of their beers. Therefore, it would be beneficial to go with a lower ABV beer since the high ABV of two-hearted can be harsh on the yeast. I've harvested Oberon yeast a number of times with success.

Day 1: Combine bottom feed of two bottles of two hearted with 200 ml DME and 20g water.
Day 3: Step up with 400 ml DME and 40 g water.
Day 5: Step up to 800 ml and 80 g water.

I think those are all backwards:
s/b

200ml water & 20g DME
400ml water & 40g DME
800ml water & 80g DME

Back