Harvesting from Homebrew Bottles Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sultanofhops

Reaction score
This is my first time harvesting yeast from bottles. They were brewed by me ~2 months ago with US-05, kept in the basement. I used the dregs (is that the right word?) off the bottom of 4 bottles, pitched into wort made up of 1qt water and a 1/2 cup DME. After cooling wort to 70F, I poured in the dregs from the 4 bottles. I waited 36 hours, agitating (swirling) occasionally, then put it in the fridge.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any gravity readings - I dropped my hydrometer and it shattered and I haven't had a chance to replace it yet.

Here's a picture of it in the fridge:
lz4Or9P.jpg

My questions are:
  • Does it look ok?
  • What do I do next? Do I make another step starter or can I pour off the liquid on top and just pitch the bottom part into my next brew?
  • If I wanted to keep this for another few weeks before using it, how should I store it?

Unless yeast is hard to come by in your area, I wouldn't repitch US-05, it is so inexpensive. Too many chances of infection, one ruined batch will buy many yeast packets.

You definitely need to step it up multiple times to have enough slurry to be pitchable.

Latest posts

Back