Harvesting from an old stove.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKW

Reaction score
I have an old stove that is about to go to the dump, and I can't think of anything to harvest off of it but I thought I'd run it by you guys to see if I could get anything useable off of it for brewing. It's a electric stove and oven with 4 burners amd it does have a broiler.

I have an old stove that is about to go to the dump, and I can't think of anything to harvest off of it but I thought I'd run it by you guys to see if I could get anything useable off of it for brewing. It's a electric stove and oven with 4 burners amd it does have a broiler.

If you're really ambitious, you could build your own stove with three or even all four burners jammed together as close as you can get them in order to go electric without having a water heater element in your brew kettle. I first saw this idea here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/alternative-electric-solution-144016/index4.html#post1665600

Also of interest:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/alternative-electric-solution-144016/index7.html

When I mentioned trying this, I got some laughs (someone called it "Stovezilla"), but I'm still pursuing the project (slowly) - I got a drop in range top off CL (Whirlpool with a stainless steel top). I've built a frame from tubular steel and cut up the stove top to preserve the original mounting holes for the drip pans and screwed these pieces to the frame. I've got one large 2600 watt and two small 1500 watt coils mounted with drip pans touching. Now all I have to do is wire it up and test it. Fortunately, I can use the original wiring, so this part should go quickly, assuming I can find a little time to work on it. If it works out, I'll post some pics of "Stovezilla". :D

Back