Harvested yeast from St. Fueillien Triple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wortimer75

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for some general feedback on the St. Feuillien Triple yeast. I harvested and propogated yeast from a bottle about a month ago and now have used it in two batches, a Triple and a Triple IPA. The general performance is not what I expect from a Belgian yeast. In both batches, the final gravity has stalled around 1.020, a bit high for a Triple. My mashing temperatures were around 148-150. The general makeup of my recipe is close to your typical Triple recipe 85% grain, 15% Dextrose. I am not really concerned with the recipes as I have used it with Wyeast 3787 which tears through it like no tomorrow. My fermentation temperature are in the mid 60's for the first few days then add a heat belt to raise the temp. Has anyone used this yeast and experienced the same performance? I've only used Wyeast products so I can talk to White Labs but is there a yeast commercially available that is "suppose" to be St. Fueillien strain? I'd like to do a comparison. I know some Breweries use a different strains for primary and conditioning. I don't believe this to be the case as the flavor and aroma are very similar to St. Feuillien.

Seeking input.

Cheers

Did you pitch proper quantities of cells? Are you sure the bottling strain is the same as their fermenting strain? It may be a weaker, neutral strain with low attenuation but good flocculation that's good for bottling but not fermenting that strong of a beer.

Latest posts

Back