Hardywood: New brewery opening in Richmond, VA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
Not sure how this escaped my attention until now, but I thought some fellow Virginians and others might be interested to know a brand new brewery is opening next week in Richmond, called Hardywood.

Hardywood was founded by two old friends, an MBA who is also a GABF judge and Richmond's first Certified Cicerone, and a brewer with a Master Brewer Certification from Doemens Academy in Munich, as well as coursework at the Siebel Institute of Technology.

Their flagship beer is Singel, a Belgian Abbey-style Blonde, but what I found most interesting in their approach is that they are also releasing an IPA that was "community-hopped" meaning a wet-hopped beer that uses all hops grown locally by friends and neighbors. Pretty cool idea, if you ask me, and very appropriate for the "small-town" feel of this city.

I'm also glad to see a brewery in Richmond that is making exciting beers. Not taking anything away from the others (Blue Mountain does a great job!), but its good to see Belgian styles 15 minutes from my house (that weren't brewed IN my house)!!!!

Back