Hardware for Yeast Washing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThoricourtBrewing

Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, and my apologies if I've overlooked this somewhere else on the forum. I washed my yeast from my latest batch following the instructions in the yeast washing sticky. I used canning jars similar to mason jars--Do the jars need to be vacuum sealed? If so, how is this done? Mine are sitting in the fridge unsealed. Is this okay?

Thanks!
Dan

Just screw lids on them. I usually "burp" mine a few times as I seem to give the yeast a bit of O2 during my swirling and settling and whatnot. Had one lid actually dent up due to the outward pressure of the CO2. You could vacuum seal with a Mason Jar attachment on a FoodSaver if you wanted. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Definitely don't pressure can them, that'll kill the yeast.

Thanks for the comments. Another question: Does it matter if you leave some headspace in the jar, or is it better to fill them completely?

Thanks,
Dan

Latest posts

Back