Hard rootbeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually i was thinking about making a rootbeer flavored super sweet mead. Using only the real herbs and such. Its still in the planning/dreaming phase, but i'm interested to try none the less. Gotta find the right combination of secondary flavorings vs boil in flavorings but i'm sure with a bit of repetition on the small batch scale I will nail something close to good eventually.

That how my plans are slow and perfect! rock on☆ mead interesting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Home Brew mobile app

Maybe stronger yeast yet I really like Root beer also

I will keep researching it and next weekend when I go home I might give it a go. And then back sweeten with unfermented rootbeer. Idk how it would work.

Heuberts, in Oklahoma, makes a canned hard rootbeer. It's decent. Has a kind of Old Fashioned Root Beer taste and about 4%ABW.

Sprecher also has a hard root beer. And considering that they also offer kits for homemade soda you might be able to get some tips from them.

my buddy and I made some when we were in our teens. he got a regular "make your own rootbeer" kit, we bumped the abv with sugar and fermented it out. we were kids and didn't have any idea what we were doing but it turned out fantastic! we bottled in 2L pop bottles and bottle carbed it up. It was sweet and delicious and strong as all hell. the bottles probably would have exploded but they didn't last long enough to do it.

That was what I am looking at a rootbeer kit from local store brew depot wondering if I should use two kits to get more of the rootbeer flavor ?

I'm in the process of making this right now. A friend had the spechers? in Chicago and loved it. She challenged me to make it. It is quite a multistep project and not very cheap. I am using a very simple beer component to get some body and alcohol. For the test batch I did not do a mash and just used LME and DME. The base was 1.105 OG. The goal after back sweetening was to have a 9% ABV. Used a white labs 99 high gravity yeast in a 2 liter starter. After two weeks in fermenter it is only down to 1.065 and 5.5% Abv. I am not sure if it is stuck yet. Once that gets to about 1.020 I'll kill the yeast and add in the sweetners and herbs. It probably would be a lot simpler to add in syrup, but I decided to go all in. I'll post more as it comes along.

I'm in the process of making this right now. A friend had the spechers? in Chicago and loved it. She challenged me to make it. It is quite a multistep project and not very cheap. I am using a very simple beer component to get some body and alcohol. For the test batch I did not do a mash and just used LME and DME. The base was 1.105 OG. The goal after back sweetening was to have a 9% ABV. Used a white labs 99 high gravity yeast in a 2 liter starter. After two weeks in fermenter it is only down to 1.065 and 5.5% Abv. I am not sure if it is stuck yet. Once that gets to about 1.020 I'll kill the yeast and add in the sweetners and herbs. It probably would be a lot simpler to add in syrup, but I decided to go all in. I'll post more as it comes along.

Nice sounds like a taste treat kinda beer base nice

Back