Hanging it up :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
I have to quit brewing......until we sell our house and buy a new one. But my new house will have a dedicated beer/ music studio so I can wait 6 months for better things. He He he.

A water filled bucket with a fermenter in it doesn't look too good when trying to sell a house. I am bottling my SS Stout on thursday and that will be my last batch for a while. My 15 gallon stock pot along with other equipment is in storage. :(:(:(

Time to start planning a new home celebration brewday brew. And i should probably start dropping the price on my house to avoid a prolonged lack of brewing. Thanks for listening to my venting. And tell me every thing will be ok.

Anyone want to buy a house in spring (houston) TX. I'll make you a deal.....

Good luck! Don't you have a secret brew closet where you can keep your fermenting beers? Better look for that space in the new house!

My secret closet was the master bedroom closet. I think this might be a conspiracy for my wife to get her closet back. Funny how the wine carboy's can stay.

I've sold my fair share of houses in my days - 4 of them to be exact and we didn't do anything differently. They all sold. I have one up for sale now but it's empty.

Ya still gotta live.

Not sure if you heard, there have been some minor problems with the housing market. I bought a house in 2005 for $145k, in 2007 it appraised for $230k, in October 2009 I put it on the market and it still hasn't sold. It's currently listed for $125k and not getting offers. Needless to say I stopped paying the mortgage at the beginning of this year.

All I'm saying is, reality check, you might not be in your new house in 6 months unless things work out fairly ideally. Having a few buckets and kettles in the corner of the garage probably won't be a deal breaker...

Hang in there CaptainL.

I just moved into a house I bought last October. I was moving out of a rental townhouse so could keep my brewing up till the last month, but I lost about 3-4 months brewing after the move due to organizing two households into one with my G/F, and setting up a new HERMS system I bought used around Christmastime.

I bought a house with a nice oversized garage and the first thing I did was build a fermentation closet in the garage. I'm certain the neighbors were thinking, now what the heck do you need a closet in a garage for LOL.

Just hang in there and build the brew space you want in the new house. You'll lose a few months brewing, but you'll snap back into it with style. :mug:

Not sure if you heard, there have been some minor problems with the housing market. I bought a house in 2005 for $145k, in 2007 it appraised for $230k, in October 2009 I put it on the market and it still hasn't sold. It's currently listed for $125k and not getting offers. Needless to say I stopped paying the mortgage at the beginning of this year.

All I'm saying is, reality check, you might not be in your new house in 6 months unless things work out fairly ideally. Having a few buckets and kettles in the corner of the garage probably won't be a deal breaker...

Wow, I thought the prices of homes in Portland had stood up pretty well to all the troubles. Whereabouts is your house?

My house was in Baltimore, I recently moved to Portland. Not sure if things in Texas are considerably better/worse than the east coast.

I would totally build a climate controlled fermentation chamber designed to look like a doghouse or I would keep the fermenters in the master bedroom inside of a hutch. I would figure something out...

UPDATE. House sold. Moved into new house less than two weeks ago...and I brewed today for the first time in 3 months. While I was away, I decided to build my self a well needed toy. 50ft 3/8 chiller with recirculation pump. Made a simple wheat/wit today. Not including cleaning up it only took me 3 hours and 15 minutes.

And I now have my own room AKA "the music brewery" for making noise (music) and beer and wine. The only bad part is that the room is upstairs. owell....

IMAG0151.jpg

IMAG0152.jpg

Oh yeah. garage closet fermentation chamber in the plans....But my wife says I need to finish unpacking and fixing up a few things first.

Back