Handy Acronyms...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SNUP - Serves No Useful Purpose

handy acronym for useless gadgets or processes.

My favorite from when I was in the service is BOHICA - Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

Its pronounced just like its spelled.

Another good one that I haven't seen much around here is YMMV (your mileage may vary). Pretty self explanatory.

I just came up with one today. Posted on another forum. I started by ranting about stupid people and then thought better of it. I figured I might offend someone so I said to myself, RDWHAHB, before replacing the rant with the words:

Stupid people tweak me.

SPTM

Then I thought of one better.

Stupid people p!$$ me off.

SPPMO

Then that led me to a phrase that I will almost definately be using in the future.

SWMBOPMO.

I think you can figure that one out. She hasn't done so today and doesn't that often, but when she does, oh boy does she ever PMO.

PEBPAK- Problem Exists Between Phone And Keyboard...an old favorite from tech support friends.

SWMBO used one today that I've never heard, but it certainly applies to a new brewer.

LITHA.

(L)eave (I)t (T)he (H)ell (A)lone!

AleHole said:
ABV = Alcohol by Volume
Al = Aluminum
APA = American Pale Ale
AAU = Alpha acid unit (the potential bitterness of hops)
B = Brix or Balling (a measure of sugar)
B3 = Beer, Beer, and More Beer (homebrew supplier)
BMC = Bud Miller Coors
BW = Barleywine
BYO = Brew Your Own magazine
CAMRA = Campaign for Real Ale (Britain?s grassroots organization for the preservation of cask-conditioned ales)
CFC = Counterflow Chiller
CPBF = Counter pressure bottle filler
CPF = Counter-Pressure filler
DME = Dry Malt Extract
DMS = Dimethyl Sulphide (produces cooked corn aroma in wort that isn't cooled quickly enough)
EKG = East Kent Golding hops
FG = Final Gravity
FWH = First Wort Hopping
GU = Gravity unit (the specific gravity's last two digits)
HBU = Homebrew bittering unit
HD = Home Depot
HERMS = Heat Exchange Recirulation Mash System
HLT = Hot liquor tank
IBU = International Bittering Units
IMHO = In my humble opinion
IPA = India Pale Ale
L = Lovibond (a measure of color)
LHBS = Local Home Brew Store
LME = Liquid Malt Extract
LT = Lauter tun
MB = Beer, Beer, and More Beer (homebrew supplier)
MLT = Mash/lauter tun
MO = Maris Otter
NB = Northern Brewer
OG = Original Gravity
P = Plato (a measure of sugar)
PBW = Powdered Brewery Wash (a cleaner)
pH = An expression on a negative log scale of 0 to 14 of the extent of acidity or alkalinity of a substance. Materials with pH 7 are neutral. Those below pH 7 are acidic and those above are caustic. Every pH unit of 1, increases or decreases the acidity by a factor of 10.
PPM = Parts per million
QD = Quick Disconnect
RDWHAHB = Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.
RHEMS = Recirculating Heat Exchange Mash System (same as HERMS)
RIMS = Recirculating Infusion Mash System
RO = Reverse Osmosis
ROFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
SG = Specific Gravity
SRM = Standard Reference Method (a measure of color)
SS = Stainless Steel
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
TG = Terminal Gravity (same as Final Gravity)
WLP = White Labs yeast

Thanks for posting acronyms that people actually use

I'm not sure I like this whole SWMBO thing. What's wrong with the old fashion way of calling your wife a W.I.F.E.

You know Wash, Iron, F$%K, Etc.
Drinking: Budweiser (I told you I'm just getting started, why can't you just leave me alone)

Jesse17 said:
I'm not sure I like this whole SWMBO thing. What's wrong with the old fashion way of calling your wife a W.I.F.E.

I suspect that few realize it, but SWMBO has a nifty literary pedigree in John Mortimer's excellent "Rumpole of the Bailey" books and short stories. SWMBO is an acronym for Rumpole's wife Hilda, referred to under his breath or in internal monologues as She Who Must Be Obeyed.* Later the BBC/Mystery series staring Leo McKern as Rumpole popularized the term, especially after the Wireless and PBS catalogs started offering coffee mugs with SWMBO on them.

Chad

* An indirect reference to H. Rider Haggard's SHE.

Jesse17 said:

Isn't that the job of a good husband?:mug:

Melana said:
Isn't that the job of a good husband?:mug:

quite frankly, I want the job of wifey whenever I get married and have kids....I dunno why, but I came to this realization about a year ago, and I figure I can run some sort of business out of the house too!

I'm surprised that EF didn't make it in here yet......That one took me a while to figure out, especially given the context that it usually appeares in.

Paging Edmund Fitzgerald......

Awesome. Thanks for pointing in the direction of the EAC thread. I'd wondered, but didn't want to post asking about it, since I got the general tone of the abbreviation. That thread's an amazing read.

RadicalEd said:
PEBPAK- Problem Exists Between Phone And Keyboard...an old favorite from tech support friends.

I always heard
Loose </br>
Nut </br>
Behind the </br>
Keyboard</br>

Here is a few old Aussie sayings
"Go back to taws" means go back to the beggining

"Shoot through like a Bondi tram"
Leave quickly ie: I am going to shoot through

"Don't stick yer bib in!"
Don't interfere

"Ya bloods worth bottling!"
You are great

"Yer pulling my chain mate!"
who are you trying to fool
Come in, spinner.
Lets go Comes from the game of Two Up

"True Blue"
True Aussie or a decent person.

"Curly"
Bald headed man

"Bluie"
Redhead

I will not offer any blue ones

One of my favourites:-

"May your Chooks turn into Emu's and kick your Dunny down"
Chooks Chickens

Dunny Outside toilet often called a thunder box
Emu's If you do not know what a Emu is then you are "Three bangers short of a barbie." Bangers are sausages.

If you do come back with a quip I will reply with

"Don't come the raw prawn with me"

Actually a lot of the sayings came from the old dart "England" so the origin of some may have a different heritage.

I actually emigrated from England in 1964 married an Aussie(Female of course)
and I still have difficulty understanding the lingo. I have found one expression always works and that is "Yes Dear". This works for most females. Never I say Never say that to an Aussie guy as you will be "Up s--t creek without a paddle."

In trouble

Want more? come to Sunny Australia and learn to speak proper like I does

You can turn them into acronyms as you wish

WTF is IIRC? I can't google it here at work because the server has that term blocked. Normally is referring to a chat room, but not the way it is used here in the forums....

bull8042: that term is blocked because "IRC" is a substring. Stands for Internet Relay Chat, which is banninated on quite a few systems. JSYK.

bull8042: that term is blocked because "IRC" is a substring. Stands for Internet Relay Chat, which is banninated on quite a few systems. JSYK.

I understand that, but it seems the stream itself would be blocked instead of just the word in the search field on Google. Oh well, the spammers and script kiddies have made life tough on everyone, but I digress. Thanks...

And thanks Jason for the answer.

I'll add LOML.
Mine is LOML most of the time, but can turn into SWMBO in about 0.000001 seconds.
Like the time I suggested that her new Coach bag would make a nice tool roll.
(I haven't actually timed it. I have to find something sturdy to hide behind, first).

Back