Handy Acronyms...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife knows what's next when I say: LLS incoming!

Loud-Long-Stinky!!

Hooray Beer!

Cheesefood said:
This thread reminds me too much of my MBA classes. EVERYTHING is acronymed - SWOT, CAPM, ATP, GAAP, IRR, S/O, EDD, FCFS, EDLP, SPT, SAF, Y'/Y, etc etc.

Yeah and then there's aviation speak:FAR/AIM, ARROW, FBO, ATIS, PIREPS, SIGMETS, and a whole host of others that I have long since forgotten.

And then the electrical trade: OSHA, NFPA, NEC, EMT, ENT, IMC, RMC, SO, LB, LL, LR, and also a bunch more but I've been drinking/brewing all day so I can't think of them, either......:drunk:

I can't believe nobody mentioned BMC (Budweiser, Miller, Coors). I had to look up that one on another site just to figure it out. I hope it was right. :)

I was just filling out some paperwork for the place I work for and I came across an acronym that made me do a double-take and laugh out loud:

SOMWBA.

This could provide evolutionary insight into the SWMBO phenomenon! It could be considered the primate companion to this boards more evolved female-associated acronym. It is a a term that has been used in Mass for years to mean:

State Office of Minority and Women Business Assistance

SOMWBA-certified business get higher preference than non-SOMWBA in bidding for public design and construction jobs. Aparently, they must be obeyed. :D

Fiery Sword said:
This could provide evolutionary insight into the SWMBO phenomenon!

swmbo.jpg

For when your buddy has had too much and you feel it is imperative that you drive his car, just use... GMTKYCSMF

Give
Me
The
Keys
You
C0kcsvcker
Mutherfvckahhhh!!!!!!!

todd_k said:
In English please!

Wha?

In English please.

Go to your local movie rental place, or netflix, and get a hold of a copy of The Usual Suspects.

It's seriously one of the best movies ever. Sort of a Film Noir Crime Drama from the perspective of the criminal. A great flick!

It's a line from that movie, made in a very funny context. Since then, my friends and I have started saying it to each other whenever we wanted the keys to someone's car. It works especially well when someone's had a bit too much to drink.

Oh yeah, I've seen it, just watched it again the other night in fact. Just wanted to throw the old "WTF" into an acronym/abbreviation thread.

Interestingly enough, the "In English please!" bit was entirely adlibbed and not scripted, as the guy really did not understand what had been said. Apparently the lineup scene was supposed to be serious but the actors kept goofing around so the director just took the funniest cut for the movie.

Great thread :rockin:
In keeping with the movie theme, here's an acronym me and my buddies use:

GBLOGBD

Get
Busy
Livin'
Or
Get
Busy
Dyin'

and one still used that I picked up in the USAF:

SSDD

same sh1# different day

ABV = Alcohol by Volume
Al = Aluminum
APA = American Pale Ale
AAU = Alpha acid unit (the potential bitterness of hops)
B = Brix or Balling (a measure of sugar)
B3 = Beer, Beer, and More Beer (homebrew supplier)
BMC = Bud Miller Coors
BW = Barleywine
BYO = Brew Your Own magazine
CAMRA = Campaign for Real Ale (Britain?s grassroots organization for the preservation of cask-conditioned ales)
CFC = Counterflow Chiller
CPBF = Counter pressure bottle filler
CPF = Counter-Pressure filler
DME = Dry Malt Extract
DMS = Dimethyl Sulphide (produces cooked corn aroma in wort that isn't cooled quickly enough)
EKG = East Kent Golding hops
FG = Final Gravity
FWH = First Wort Hopping
GU = Gravity unit (the specific gravity's last two digits)
HBU = Homebrew bittering unit
HD = Home Depot
HERMS = Heat Exchange Recirulation Mash System
HLT = Hot liquor tank
IBU = International Bittering Units
IMHO = In my humble opinion
IPA = India Pale Ale
L = Lovibond (a measure of color)
LHBS = Local Home Brew Store
LME = Liquid Malt Extract
LT = Lauter tun
MB = Beer, Beer, and More Beer (homebrew supplier)
MLT = Mash/lauter tun
MO = Maris Otter
NB = Northern Brewer
OG = Original Gravity
P = Plato (a measure of sugar)
PBW = Powdered Brewery Wash (a cleaner)
pH = An expression on a negative log scale of 0 to 14 of the extent of acidity or alkalinity of a substance. Materials with pH 7 are neutral. Those below pH 7 are acidic and those above are caustic. Every pH unit of 1, increases or decreases the acidity by a factor of 10.
PPM = Parts per million
QD = Quick Disconnect
RDWHAHB = Relax, don't worry, have a home brew.
RHEMS = Recirculating Heat Exchange Mash System (same as HERMS)
RIMS = Recirculating Infusion Mash System
RO = Reverse Osmosis
ROFL = Rolling on the Floor Laughing
SG = Specific Gravity
SRM = Standard Reference Method (a measure of color)
SS = Stainless Steel
SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed
TG = Terminal Gravity (same as Final Gravity)
WLP = White Labs yeast

I still dont get it and that thread didn't help much...Ididn't read it all! (EAC) come one its like one of those things that you here in college but never learned! Wait thats everything!!!

Fire_travels said:
I still dont get it and that thread didn't help much...Ididn't read it all! (EAC) come one its like one of those things that you here in college but never learned! Wait thats everything!!!

see if this answers your question

Search "elitist" then go to the EAC thread and the link on the second post

dibby33 said:
FOAD. Feck Off And Die. Used by my goodself during the EAC confab.

variation : FOADYB, FOAD ya bastard.

So wait. Are you supposed to die and then feck off? Or are you supposed to feck off and then die? It seems to me that the proper order might be of some importance there.... but it says "and", which only tells me that I am to do both. So what's the proper order? :confused:

:fro:

BOGOF - Buy one get one free...:D

SNAFU - that's my fave. My dad taught me that one, used it in the Navy. (Sit normal, all fouled up...)

TTFN - Ta-ta for now

TMD - Too much detail

S*I.T - Special High Intensity Training

GFU - General F up..

MMFD - Miles and Miles of f'ing desert!

NSTIW - No S8it, There I Was

YUCATAN - You're Under Certain Annihilation Throw A Nuke

SUSFU - Situation Unchanged: Still F'd Up

TARFU - Things Are Really F'd Up

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
My favorites are WT - white trash, PDG - pretty dam good, and WTF - you know...

Or simply Whiskey Tango for WT, always a pleaser...like hanging out in the garage all day drinking beer and watching water boil, it's a little Whiskey Tango:mug:

Toot said:
So wait. Are you supposed to die and then feck off? Or are you supposed to feck off and then die? It seems to me that the proper order might be of some importance there.... but it says "and", which only tells me that I am to do both. So what's the proper order? :confused:

:fro:

For F sakes. FOAD.
Step 1 : Feck Off
Step 2 : Die.

Subtle way of saying please go away and don't come back.

silly toot.

Found this one on another forum that fits many people on this forum.

SOPWAMTOS
Society Of People Who Actually Make Their Own ****

Latest posts

Back