hand washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

God Emporer BillyBrew

Reaction score
How often do you all wash your hands on brew night. I just finished brewing and I must have washed my hands 6 times. I kept thinking that I had touched something dirty and was going to ruin my beer. Do you guys do that to?

yes i do, yes i do, yes i do, yes i do, Its called an obsessive compulsive disorder. But i Just cant help to scratch my nuts right before i test the mash water for temperature. I think it makes the beer taste better. Its only when i make nut brown ales that this phenomenon happens, go figure

Seriously i dont wash my hands but once right before i brew, but keep a bottle of sanitizer near by. Causes my hands to crack after a while

When I start the mash and when I'm sanitizing the fermenter. And after the greyhounds lick the sausage grease off of my hands.

I was my hands constantly throughout the brewing process. I am always finding myself rinsing them off in the sanitizing bucket as well. I have yet to have a contaminated batch.....KNOCK ON WOOD..... I am problably over doing it but in MHO you cannot be too careful

anthrobe said:
I am always finding myself rinsing them off in the sanitizing bucket as well

I'm using the sanitizing bucket as well. Are there any concerns that the iodine could be bad for the skin?

Kai said:
I'm using the sanitizing bucket as well. Are there any concerns that the iodine could be bad for the skin?

I use iodine for all of my sanitizing needs and the only thing it really does to my hands is turn them brown.

I think the Monks 600 years ago didn't bother that often and they (Supposedly) made great beer. I figure with the anount of sanitiser I splash and spill then my hands are good to go.

Yeah, but if go take a leak or scratch your butt or something you're introducing some nastiness in there. And I don't mean the good kind of nasty!

I wash with betadine soap before I start, once the wort is cool. Also keep a bowl of Idophor solution to swish my hands around in from time to time.

Of course the time I found the cat perched on the edge of the bucket swatting at the wort was a little dicey.

I had a pail of One Step that I kept dunking things in and my hands went right along with it so I guess I was sanitizing my hands the whole time. I did not particularly stop and say.. oh.. I have to wash my hands. I washed them once... ahh... and did not feel that need usmcruz so I guess I was safe:)

I almost spit my beer all over the computer, because i remembered what i said. thanks man. :D

billybrew said:
Yeah, but if go take a leak or scratch your butt or something you're introducing some nastiness in there. And I don't mean the good kind of nasty!

Hi everyone i'm new to this forum i just got a home brew kit for christmas. I made my first batch last night it's a German Altbier and this morning there were bubbles coming out of the "bubble thing" :confused:

I'm in a bonsai forum and they aren't nearly as funny as y'all

Cheers

Passload said:
Does anyone use that squirt type hand sanitizer:confused:
They say that urine is sterile, is that what you mean? Seriously, though, I wash constantly at work. I'm not too afraid while brewing, as long as I don't touch anything that contacts my cooled wort. And...use a big starter to get a jump on anything that might creep in.

I wash my hands when ever i'm washing everything and then i keep a clean towel right there so if i get something on myself i can rinse it off and then dry my hands. If they would make beer back in the day with out bleach or any other cleaner. I feel that by just keeping clean while brewing should be fine.

Do you wash your gloves??????????? What could you have gotten on your gloves????? Something to think about.

OF COURSE I wash the gloves... the point of gloves is you can sanitize em. I bottle with gloves on too... just pour some sani solution in and give the bottle a shake.... everything gets a nice dose of death.

billybrew said:
How often do you all wash your hands on brew night. I just finished brewing and I must have washed my hands 6 times. I kept thinking that I had touched something dirty and was going to ruin my beer. Do you guys do that to?

Pre-boil: No more than usual.

Post-boil: I keep them as clean as possible.

I am going to brew my first batch next weekend. I plan to use vinyl gloves.

I have been using them in the kitchen when I do a cookfest for years. They come in the box sterile and I wash with them on anyway when I touch anything before I put my hands on the food.

Nothing better as far as I am concerned for keeping your hands sanitary.

Back