Hand Milling Machine for DIY specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5mooth0perator

Reaction score
Does something like these cast iron hand mills work for small amounts, maybe several pounds of grain?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016IYOBT2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I have done hand ground espresso and that got old, but I figure just cracking grain shouldn't be that bad.

Also, is there any good reason to have one these in a kitchen, to help justify the expense and cabinet space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. They work good. I use a corona type for specialty grains. Usually less than a pound per batch. I did a full batch once by hand... I'd rig a drill if I did that again.

My biggest complaint was the hopper didn't fit. I had to bend it out a bit. It works fine now.

Do a search for corona mill or victory mill and you'll get a lot of ideas on how to use and modify them to mill grain.

I've made many batches all grain with a mill like that, most of them cranked by hand. The quality control is pretty loose on the mill but they work just fine and are easily motorized with an electric drill if you don't want to have a huge right shoulder. Mine is only used for beer but it could be used to crack grain for baking too. It fits into a 6 inch square by about 15 inch long box so it doesn't need a lot of space. My original box is getting pretty beat up so it will need replaced but I've had it for several years now.

I use a Corona Mill all the time, and use 8 to 10 lbs of grain a batch. For the price of a bolt and a couple of washers I've converted mine to accept a drill. Probably used it for over 100 batches.

Back