"Ham" off flavor in SA summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jro238

Reaction score
So I've been meaning to post about this for a while but am just getting around to it...

A few years ago I was out with some friends at some college bar. I didn't feel like a BMC and I hadn't ever tried sam adams summer ale before so I gave it a shot (the one token 'craft' beer that they had on tap).

I tried it and tasted a cooked ham flavor (yes, like a honey ham that you eat at christmas but not quite as sweet). This flavor came in maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the was through the flavor progression and, while not super strong, really interfered with the hops and was annoying enough that I couldn't just ignore it. I got one or two of my BMC drinking friends to give it a try but they all just told me I was imagining things and to shut up and drink my beer.

I'm usually pretty darn good at picking out specific flavors (including off flavors) but this one had me straight up stumped. The only thing I could think of was possibly some weird interaction with a dirty keg line (like I said, this was a college dive bar).

Thoughts? Has anyone else ever tasted a ham-like flavor in a beer (or for that matter brewed a ham beer--we are homebrewers after all :rockin:)?

I noticed a hammy or hot dog flavor in gravity samples with a couple of brews where I used Melanoiden malt. It was gone by the time I tapped the keg, but it had me a little concerned. One was a Hefe and the other was a Bell's Oberon inspired American Wheat.

EDIT- Wrong thread... no idea how that happened!

The closest thing I can think of is actually autolysis...

jro238 said:
Thoughts? Has anyone else ever tasted a ham-like flavor in a beer (or for that matter brewed a ham beer--we are homebrewers after all :rockin:)?

Yes, but it was Fire in the Ham from Jack's Abby. It's hammy, bacony, smoky goodness.

The closest thing I can think of is actually autolysis...

This. Pretty sure autolyzed yeast is a source of gultamates which enhance flavors. Autolyzed yeast can be described as soy sauce which usually is high sodium content as does ham. With the right mix of malt, hops and water; it could happen.

Or they wash their glasses in ham brine.

I once stupidly made a smoked beer and put the wort into an old fermenter using old yeast...talk about ham beer...bacon wrapped ham.

It's probably autolysis. Dead yeast will do that. But guess what...if you deuce the beer in some tomato and brown sugar you'll have one darn fine bbq sauce...

Smoke some brisket and mop it with it...:)

FYI to those offering recipe advice (and thanks for the thoughts): this wasn't my beer it was Sam Adams summer ale from a bar. :).

Seems like autolysis is a common theme here. Maybe I'll write them a strongly worded letter about treating their yeast better :cross:

Don't blame the brewery for a bar that can't keep their beer lines clean. Poor draft system management ruins many a good beer. Next time you get a beer that tastes off, send it back and get a beer from a different tap, you will probably get the same taste in that beer.

FYI to those offering recipe advice (and thanks for the thoughts): this wasn't my beer it was Sam Adams summer ale from a bar. :).

Seems like autolysis is a common theme here. Maybe I'll write them a strongly worded letter about treating their yeast better :cross:

Haha best thread ever

Latest posts

Back