Halloween party beer selection suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Hi all. Every year, my wife and I host a Halloween party where I brew up there different beers for the night. Unsurprisingly, the staple every year is a pumpkin ale. However, I then vary up the other two beers so guests can look forward to something new each year. The goal is to have a good selection of accessible and interesting beers, so guests can try something new or expand their horizons just a bit...or just stick to something they like all night. (This is one reason the pumpkin beer sticks around each year. Totally accessible for even non beer drinkers.)

This year, a buddy requested that one of the beers be a Dunkelweizen, which I thought was a cool idea. Since then, I've been pondering what should be the third. I've got a spice beer, a different wheat beer, and now need something completely different to round out the trio.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'm looking for something tasty. Doesn't have to fall into a specific style. Thanks!

Oktoberfest/Aletoberfest would be good, but it MIGHT be too close to the Dunkel you already have planned. I was toying with doing a Scotch ale this fall so it would be ready for winter. Not sure how cold your Halloweens get. Probably not very in California. I'm in Michigan and we've trick-or-treated in shorts one year and winter gloves and hats the next. I like Scotch ales when the weather is colder.

Oktoberfest/Aletoberfest would be good, but it MIGHT be too close to the Dunkel you already have planned.

Yeah, that is my worry; otherwise, that is probably how I would go. Also, the pumpkin ale is toward the amber side of things, so would also be close to the Oktoberfest style (just with spices).

Some of my thoughts are California common, rye pale ale, cream ale, a strong bitter. On the dark side, maybe a porter.

I've always had good luck serving a vanilla cream ale at the holiday party my wife and I host each year. I typically have 4 beers tapped for the party and the vanilla cream ale (with a subtle vanilla flavor from beans soaked in vodka) is usually consumed the most.

Back