Haier Too Cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Short story:
I can't hold serving temperature in a Haier 10.3 small refrigerator. It wants to freeze everything. From what I saw, it was delivered upright, but tilted a little during handling. I didn't wait the recommended 24 hours before plugging it in. Could this cause the temperature problem? If so, will unplugging for 24 hours fix it? Or is there another problem and a way to fix it?

Long story:
Craig’s List freezer died but can't complain. Got more than my moneys worth. Going to the basement to get beer from the keezer was getting old anyway so talked my wife into putting a small 10.3 Haier fridge in the mud room off of the kitchen. I get beer where I need it, she gets extra freezer space.

Pulling the shelving from the door was a challenge. The insulation was bonded to it, so I had to destroy the shelves to get them off. Unfortunately, I did this before testing. Read this as, I can’t return it now. Stupid, I know! Now no matter how I adjust the dials, it wants to freeze in the refrigerator compartment. As a last resort, I could use the temperature control from the keezer, but would like to avoid that. Any ideas of how to fix it?

tilted a little shouldn't cause problems with the compressor oil migrating.
At one time I read that it was liquid refrigerant that had to settle. That's what made me think it could effect the cooling, but after more research, I found what you said. It's oil that has to return to the compressor to lubricate properly. It could ruin the compressor, but won’t effect the temperature.

Regardless, I prove to be an idiot again. The cause of the problem was me. When I took the shelving off the door I removed the pressure point that activated the light switch. And you guessed it, the bulb is in the same housing as the thermostat. The heat from the bulb kept the thermostat from shutting off no matter how low it was set.

Well, maybe someone will learn from my mistake. :cross:

Back