Haier 7.0 cu ft Freezer from Walmart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryser2k

Reaction score
Saw this deal for a freezer from Walmart, $190 online only. I did a search for it on here to see if anyone has used it as a lagering cooler but didn't find anything. It says it has a built-in adjustable thermostat control, but I don't know how accurate it is or what the temperature range is.

Anyone have one of these?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2625033

It's a good bet that no matter the brand, you will also have to invest in a temperature controller ($40 - $70). It's just not plausable that the adjustable thermostat control in a stock unit would allow for fermentation temperatures, possibly the low end of lagering but certainly not 50 degrees (high end).

I'm assumed that too... as far as dimensions go, does it seem like an appropriate size to fit carboys? It's very hard to tell just by looking at the one photo they provide, and since it's online only I can't really go see it...

The page says 23.63 x 37.16 x 31.69 (in inches)...

I also found this listing on Craigslist for a commercial bottle cooler (like they have in bars) for $300. Anyone ever try using one of these for lagering, or would I be better off with the chest freezer + temp controller?

Back