Had to Pitch Yeast Twice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bates_Foreman

Reaction score
I had to pitch the yeast twice, First time I made a rookie mistake and thought the yeast needed to be warmed up in a pan with water, little did I know I was killing the yeast. I repitched the next day with the same type of dry yeast and everything is looking good now. Should I be worried about off flavors though? Should I definitely do a secondary?

nope, you should be fine, all you did was pitch some dead yeast in there.. no biggie. and the extra 24 hr wait isn't a huge problem either. just let it go its course and don't use a secondary. let it go for a good week or 10 days after the gravity readings stabilize, then rack into your bottling bucket and bottle away!

Autolytic or dead yeast cells actually provide a great food and enzyme source for healthy yeast so you did more better than worse!
good luck in about 3-4 weeks i predict youll have what we like to call around here.....BEER!
enjoy

How "warm" did you get the yeast? It is perfectly accepted procedure to put dry yeast packets into water at around 100-104F to break up the yeast clumps and support yeast health. Yeast don't start actually be debilitated until about 140F, and don't start to die until pastuerization temps of 160F+.

If you put the yeast in a pan of water under 140F, you certainly didn't make a mistake or kill the yeast, and the second packet wasn't necessary. Active fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start, so this is probably really a matter of brewer patience more than anything. You have likely actually overpitched at this point, but no big whoop, it should still be good beer.

Back