Had to mix my priming sugar??? DME and dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arctic78

arctic78
Reaction score
Ok so I forgot to check how much Dextrose I had and I fell short by a bit , Not a hell of a lot but a little to get the 2.6 carbonation I was after.
I had on hand a small amount of DME so I used that to top up my Dextrose .
Could not find anything online if this is ok to do or how to do it so I just worked out what the amount of dextrose I had would give me the desired carbonation I wanted for the beer and then the wort that was left I put in the figures for the DME and got the amount required to use for that amount of wort to achieve my desired carbonation level and proceeded to mix the two together and boil as normal be for bulk priming.

So can anyone tell me if this is ok or have a potentially screwed up my beer???

No problem with using DME for priming. The fermentability is less that dextrose so if you calculated the total for all dextrose your carbonation will be a bit short. It is not likely to be noticeable unless DME dominates the total.

Last edited:
The DME is fine. Some brewers carb entirely using it. It usually takes a little longer to bottle-carb than dextrose. With DME, you need about 1.33 times as much by weight, as dextrose, to achieve the same carbonation. For example, if you would normally need 4 oz. of dextrose, you'd need about 5.3 oz. of DME.

Since you're doing a mixture, determine how much short you are on dextrose, then add DME equal to 1.33 x difference.

Sweet good to know this is ok ..

I used a calculator to work out the amounts and the portion I was short then calculated the correct amount of DME for the remaining amount at 1.33 x the difference .

Sounds like it should all be ok and that was my main concern..

Thanks for the help.

Back