had to dump my 1st commercial beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 12 pack with 4 different brews. They include a pale ale, wit, red ale, and amber ale.

I don't like to bash a brewery but, all beers were a poor examples of the styles they represented.

The pale ale was ok.
The wit was also ok but first taste to me was cinnamon. It must of been the combination of chamomile, grains of paridise, and orange peal. Worst part of the beer was there is more wheat flavor in a blue moon.
The red ale used new zealand hops. This was the one I had to dump. This was my first beer with these hops and I think in the right way they could be great in a beer, not this one.
The amber ale was overly bitter and watered down, well all the beers seemed thin on mouthfeel. Also all the beers beer malt flavor seem to bee hidden behind the hops. I am not a hop head but do enjoy a good ipa that is balanced.
Any ways I am not sure if I can force myself to drink the rest, when I prefer drinking the pbr before some craft brew either I am crazy or my tastes are completely off.

So sorry crazy mountain brewing co. I probably won't purchase your product again.

Again I don't like to bash a brewing company as these are taste bud opinions, what are others thoughts on this

My thoughts are that I can PM you my address and you can ship me those and any other future beers you can't finish......takes a hell of a lot more than those reasons for me to dump....now just generally not enjoying is one thing, but I don't dump something drinkable.....blasphemy in my eyes....:D

No honestly, my desciptions may be vague. My main complaint would be I paid money for something that doesn't meet my fairly low epectations. I won't dump it but get some other opinions about them. It wasn't off flavors but they just missed the mark with my taste buds. Either I am a snob who drinks pbr or maybe what I thought was beer has changed forthe times. But I can taste barley in pbr and in these beers for being "craft" there was not a lot of flavor.

I've been in the same boat with other beers. Just because someone has a commercial brewery doesn't mean they make good beer.

I away say go with a sure thing! Your own Home-brew!!!

Since I started home brewing, I have found that I am extremely critical of the beer that I make and expect lower standards of commercial beer. I recently purchased 2 cases of Grolsch just for the 450ml flip top bottles (I am going to use them to bottle the Hard Pear Cider for the wife). I can't even force myself to drink it.

What is funny is that my friends (local and expat) that have access to my beer now are not satisfied with the local swill :) :mug:

I have come to realization with so many craft breweries just because they call it an amber, red, or etc, I should not expect it to be to style. The name of the beers did have an adjective before amber, red, or etc. I am all for creativity but with 75% missing the mark it is un-impressive.

Sorry for my rant.

I've had the same experience. Maybe I'm being too fussy, but I've stopped buying seasonal mixed packs. They rarely contain anything that wows me, and always have something nasty. Granted, most of the mixed sixes I've bought were from Sam Adams or Saranac, both decent breweries but not great.

Back