Had my first Heady Topper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj218

Reaction score
After many months I finally got my hands on a Heady Topper. Let me start by saying I am not a big IPA fan, with Harpoon and Goose Island being my favorite, but I will often pass on IPA all together. Despite that after hearing so much about it I had to try it.

I was fairly underwhelmed by it, I think the hype has blown this one out of proportion. Was it good for an IPA yes, but it wasn't the pallete altering experience I had heard about. I appreciate some of the complexities with the hopping (or maybe yeast) but in the end it wasn't a beer I would drive or probably buy over other IPAs (for the price).

Am I really off base here or does anyone else think this beer is overhyped?

I have had it twice recently. Both times it was fresh and I was underwhelmed also. It's a good beer. It's not necessarily worth the effort it required to get it though. I would never turn one down though.

It's a good IPA. I make better. Pretty much sums it up for me.

I'm glad to hear reports like this. It's so tempting to think "What? It's BeerAdvocate's best beer in the world? I must try it!" but I've been trying to resist doing that and getting all obsessed with it.

I should mention. My sentiments are exactly the same for Pliny the Elder.

Same here. I got some Pliny that had been in the bottle for only about two weeks and it was certainly good, it just wasn't anything spectacular. I'd rather have some of the easily-obtainable hop bombs from The Ale Asylum, Bell's and Founders.

It's somewhat easy to be underwhelmed by something that's been so hyped. I personally love the stuff, but I really do understand how it could be underwhelming to some.

I had the opposite reaction to Pliny. I get a lot of great IPAs here in Portland. Dime a dozen for really good stuff. So I was expecting to be disappointed with Pliny. Also, NW IPAs tend to have a unique flavor that I really like. And I very rarely like IPAs I try in other parts if the country. In fact, they usually don't taste like IPAs to me at all, as my taste buds have been calibrated by NW IPAs. Having said all that, Pliny is flawless to my taste. It is perfectly balanced.

I tasted it side by side with Alesmith's IPA, which was touted as a Pliny killer by the beer guy at a local store (with lots of good beer). Both are great IPAs. But I think Pliny is special. I also think that someone who has calibrated their IPA taste buds to something like SN Torpedo might not like the traditional NW IPA flavors I'm used to. Everybody's tastes are quite different. That's what makes it so much fun. As long as we all agree that Blue Moon is disgusting, we should be fine! Just kidding on that.

I agree, after have a Firestone DJ the heady was just another double! There are so many good DIPA out there it is really tough to find one that's special! I personally think Firestone Walker DJ, Flying Fish Exit 16, and Sixpoint Resin are the three I turn too

The Alchemist Brewpub use to be my local go to spot, and I have to say, Heady isn't even the best beer they made. Maybe not even in the top 5 of what he put out there.

It wouldn't be hard to argue that Heady isn't the best DIPA coming out of Vermont, with HF Abner(and Double Citra/Galaxy, etc) and Lawson's Double Sunshine.

Its just beer, don't over think it.

I also recently tried Heady for the first time. I wasn't blown away exactly, but I think that's because my own IIPA was ready at the same time and I liked it a little better. (Of course). But I'd brewed a very similar beer and used conan. So mine was also way fresher. I think one of the reasons heady is so hyped is the legend of its yeast.

Also, I think if IIPA isn't your thing you're just not going to be to impressed with heady. I really think there's a palette issue there.

ScootersAle said:
The Alchemist Brewpub use to be my local go to spot, and I have to say, Heady isn't even the best beer they made. Maybe not even in the top 5 of what he put out there. It wouldn't be hard to argue that Heady isn't the best DIPA coming out of Vermont, with HF Abner(and Double Citra/Galaxy, etc) and Lawson's Double Sunshine. Its just beer, don't over think it.

Heady Topper is the only beer that The Alchemist makes I thought?

That's true, right now.

Prior to their brew pub being flooded, they used to make a whole line-up just like Russian River. You can check out some of their old beers in the beer archive on their website.

They just introduced a growler program, which their Donovan Red was released. Although, now that the Cannery has been closed to the public that program is on hold. The Alchemist use to be a brewpub but in 2011 Hurriance Irene destoryed it. Lucky they had just finished building the Cannery right before the hurricane hit. The brewpub put some amazing beer, and it is sad to see so many people think he can only put out this one beer. Their sours, for example were always amazing.

But as of right now, Heady is the only thing they make (Celia was their Gluten Free Saison they contract brewed for a bit, but the whole thing was sold off to Ipswitch)

Latest posts

Back