Had an Idea what do you guys think....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJHERSE

Reaction score
Ok so I was thinking the other day and came up with something I figured I would try. Into my 6 gal fermenter I added 3 32oz cherry kool-aid powder canisters. I figured the sugar content out to be about 3.3 lb's I then added 10lbs of white sugar topped off with cold water and pitched a 48hr turbo yeast packet. I’m planning on letting it ferment for about 2-3 days and then kegging it and carbonating it. I think it should turn out to be a sort of Smirnoff twisted type thing? Or am I completely wrong. Do I have to let it sit and clear like I would with homebrew? Has anybody done anything similar or am I completely insane? Be easy guys this is my first post.

Sounds like you just turned 21...you're allowed to drink with the big boys at the grown-up table now...

Just joshing ya!

Welcome.

Sounds like a waste of time and $$$ IMO, but if that's what you want go for it.:D

Maybe someone else has tried it...then again, they may be too embarrassed to admit it and tell us what the results were.;)

its for the women; Real women who appreciate homebrew are hard to find around here especialy if your factering in that they must be semi attractive. I had an extra kegg laying around so i figured i would try it....

Hmmm..... doesn't Koolaid contain an assload of perservatives that might very well just kill your yeast outright?

If so, you'll have a lot of very sweet Koolaid.

If not, you'll have some terrible tasting hooch.

The thing you might not be considering is that all of that sugar will ferment away. There will be no sweetness left. Imagine drinking Koolaide with no sugar.

-walker

i was hoping for the yeast to die out before using all of the sugar up due to the 13%+ alcohol content

What im trying to do is get the women soused on something sweet and girly while still retaining the "OMG you made this" factor

I think the point was that the yeast may be killed by the preservatives, not the alcohol, but to answer your question your problem (biggest problem anyway) is in the sugar. you nee to find the mix correct mix of fermentalbe and non fermentable sugars which will give you enough fermentable sugar to make it alcoholic, and enough non fermentable dugar to make it sweet.

that said, there is probably a much more reliable way to get a sweet alcohol brew

and I think the 21 age estimate may be on the high side...

DJHERSE said:
i was hoping for the yeast to die out before using all of the sugar up due to the 13%+ alcohol content

I thought that the turbo yeast went higher than that. I might be wrong.

Either way, you can always kill the yeast with campden tablets whenever you want.

-walker

DJHERSE said:
22 and a college student no need to be a dick

Hahaha...20 and a college student here. These older guys don't mean to be dicks, just a little friendly heckling. I have no idea how your sugar brew would turn out but I suggest getting into homebrewing some beer if you haven't already. Lots of fun and all your bros will dig ur home made beer :rockin:

DJHERSE said:

Yikes!!!! Sorry dude, you're right.
not trying to be a dick at all, my sincerest apologies, just some of the wording you used...

anyway, I'm not a dick, hell I actually answered your question!!!

puravida286 said:
Hahaha...20 and a college student here. These older guys don't mean to be dicks, just a little friendly heckling. I have no idea how your sugar brew would turn out but I suggest getting into homebrewing some beer if you haven't already. Lots of fun and all your bros will dig ur home made beer :rockin:

HEY! who you callin' older?

oh, me... yeah I am...

:mug:

I'm onto my 4th homebrew batch first 2 were OK last one was great planing to try a lager this time anybody know of any good beginer lager EG recipes?

I think the Kool-aid thing is a wonderful idea of trying to think outside of the box. I even remember drinking some pretty foul stuff as a college student. I think that you wouldn't get much of a "wow factor" with something like this. I could see more of a "yuk factor". Do yourself and the ladies a favor and go for the traditional bottle of Everclear poured into some sorry concoction of fruit and punch. The ladies will appreciate it a little more.

Every so often we get someone who wants to try soemthing like this. Mind you they all end up in the same place and it is never a glass. Allways seem to wonder what in blazes is in the mind of the person making it. Well keep us updated... one is these recipes will come out half way decent at some time.

You would be better off making wine. Try this site, I have her book and its a real nice book actually (no there is no sarcasm here... good book and you can make some reall decent stuff probably more around the lines of what you are trying to do here...... around the lines at any rate).

http://www.joyofwine.net/

Hey what's wrong with trying out a crazy idea? It's just money :) My question to the OP is, what qualities are you predicting to come out of this experiment? Since you're using just koolaid and sugar and fermenting it, even if the yeast doesn't ferment out all of the sugar, isn't this basically the equivalent of mixing vodka with koolaid and sticking it in a keg and carbonating? Or are you expecting the yeast to contribute something 'special'? (I know nothing about this turbo yeast stuff...)

MattD said:
(I know nothing about this turbo yeast stuff...)

Turbo yeast eats lots of sugar really fast. It doesn't need any other nutrients that I am aware of either. You can literally put this into sugar water and it will get to work making alcohol. It can get into the upper teens for ABV in under a week or something crazy like that. I've seen no mention of a flavor profile for it, as I believe the intented consumer are home distillers who are going to end up extracting the pure alcohol and leave the rest of the liquid behind.

-walker

Besides being a neat science experiment, I would think it would cost about the same to just buy a bunch of Mad Dog 20/20 or Boones. They both come in just about every kool-aid flavor. Dump it in the keg and tell them you made it.

Hell, I've been talking about my homebrew adventures with friends and family so much, I'd do the same by scraping the labels off some Sam Adams if my first batch goes South on me.

Bobby

Bobby_M said:
Hell, I've been talking about my homebrew adventures with friends and family so much, I'd do the same by scraping the labels off some Sam Adams if my first batch goes South on me.

Won't the SA logo on the caps give you away? :)

I’ve heard of stranger things. While searching around for information for Lambics, I found a recipe that used several pounds of Sour Apple Jolly Ranchers instead of fruit.

Kool-Aid is basically an uncarbonated soda reduced to powder form. My guess is that it will work, it just won’t taste good.

On the other hand 13% Hooch and coeds....:ban:

Edit: if it does work and tastes like crap, throw fruit in it and call it Jungle Juice, or find a mixer to go with it.

I think the Ascorbic acid (Vit C) would kill your yeast along with the other preservatives.
I agree with the other guy that said make some wine and force carb it. I've been thinking of doing this myself. What I'm going to do is get a cranberry wine base throw in some pomegranate and keep it sweet and force the Co2. Kind of like a Lambrussco.

homebrewer_99 said:
...well I'm all for gittin the broads soused so we can look better to 'em...:drunk:

As for the guys...one words of advice...go ugly early!!;)

"GO UGLY EARLY"

Right on, sounds like the slogan from a bar that I used to go to frequently back at Purdue: Harry's Chocolate Shop.

Normally you charcoal filter the liquid results of a turbo yeast fermentation to redice off flavors, THEN add your flavorings. You can probably use activated charcoal at the end (after fermentation/clearing and then racking it) and you'll proably still end up with half decent 20% alc. Then go and add some flavorings.

DJHERSE said:

I don't think it's intentional since they are actually answering your questions. It's just a fact that our underage brewers around here tend to forget to use proper grammer (eg periods, commas, capital letters), so it's easy to become suspicious when we see that...

veggiess said:
I don't think it's intentional since they are actually answering your questions. It's just a fact that our underage brewers around here tend to forget to use proper grammer (eg periods, commas, capital letters), so it's easy to become suspicious when we see that...

Grammer? What's grammer.

Edward Estlin Cummings, better known as ee cummings, didn't overuse capitalization, punctuation, or strict spelling either, yet he is not severely criticised for that. Except, perhaps, that his lack of punctuation and good grammer became formulaic over time.

Here is one of his poems that I feel may be in the spirit of this thread. And may it serve as a bit of a warning...

may i feel said he

may i feel said he
(i'll squeal said she
just once said he)
it's fun said she

(may i touch said he
how much said she
a lot said he)
why not said she

(let's go said he
not too far said she
what's too far said he
where you are said she)

may i stay said he
(which way said she
like this said he
if you kiss said she

may i move said he
is it love said she)
if you're willing said he
(but you're killing said she

but it's life said he
but your wife said she
now said he)
ow said she

(tiptop said he
don't stop said she
oh no said he)
go slow said she

(cccome?said he
ummm said she)
you're divine!said he
(you are Mine said she)

fullfrontalgranny said:
Grammer? What's grammer.

Thats that ting that we learned in school iTs more of a bother then usful actually somE epeople here has actually PMed me bout grammer Would you BELIEVE IT!

Grammar etc. are just things we use to make communication easier. If we can understand eachother that is good enough.

I'd expect all of your sugars to be eatten up by the yeast. Try brewing a tiny (like a half gallon) batch of it first and see what flavor you get pre-carbonation. If it's too nasty to drink you can always give it to your roommate. I've heard about the Jolly Rancher beers and Dr. Pepper beers too. You could mix and match various sodas and drink powders to make something potentially tasty.
Experiment, the worst that can happen is you'll go blind.

What I'm trying to figure out is what ever happened to that guy who made the Gateraid stuff.... did he die from it? :D

ya knw I reely wsh I coold fynd thot e-male my wyf sint me aboot the brian beeng able to prosess just aboot aney wurd as lung as the frust aynd layst littir of the wurd were currict.

Pumbaa said:
ya knw I reely wsh I coold fynd thot e-male my wyf sint me aboot the brian beeng able to prosess just aboot aney wurd as lung as the frust aynd layst littir of the wurd were currict.

werd!@@!@@@!

:tank: :drunk: :D

Pumbaa said:

I read that on line someplace. The full thing was that you had to have the first and last letter correct. All of the letters in between needed to be the correct letters, but could be arranged in any order you wanted.

Back