Hach Ph Tester Replacement Probe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
My Hach Pocket Pro + Ph Tester has served me well for 2 years now, and I made a mistake by dropping it and the glass sensor broke. The main part of the meter seems ok. Amazon now sells the Hach meter for $122 and was surprised the replacement probe costs $77. I can buy it on Prime so shipping is 2 day and included in the $77.

While looking at meters on Amazon, I happened to note the Apera Pocket Ph Tester that gets tons of good reviews and this entire meter is actually the same price as just the replacement probe for the Hach. Knowing I will eventually replace any probe I get, the replacement probe for the Apera is $27.

Decisions......I know my Hach serves me well and it was totally my error the sensor broke. But with all being equal, I am struggling to decide which way to go here.

Last edited:
Hach until recently didn't offer the probe on Prime and wanted $18 for shipping on it. I went round and round with them about the shipping cost being insane and then about a month later it showed up on Prime...

I love my Hach but I don't use it enough to have justified the expense. I have found I trust Brun water entirely especially when using RO. I do use my meter for sours or darker beers that I use my house water for.

I had a hard time making the call to switch to something else when my probe went bad because I knew the unit worked well and I had already invested. I do think if I needed to replace the probe again I would look for a less expensive alternative.

Hach until recently didn't offer the probe on Prime and wanted $18 for shipping on it. I went round and round with them about the shipping cost being insane and then about a month later it showed up on Prime...

I love my Hach but I don't use it enough to have justified the expense. I have found I trust Brun water entirely especially when using RO. I do use my meter for sours or darker beers that I use my house water for.

I had a hard time making the call to switch to something else when my probe went bad because I knew the unit worked well and I had already invested. I do think if I needed to replace the probe again I would look for a less expensive alternative.

Our thoughts parallel almost exactly....

When I bought my meter, Amazon didn't carry it and I paid Hach what seemed to be an over-priced shipping fee. At least Amazon now offers the product with Prime shipping to help take out some of the sting.

Like you, I can depend on Bru'n Water, and find my results are very predictable which makes the meter a double check and not a primary tool for most of the beers I make. However when I brew kettle soured Gose beers, the meter becomes invaluable. Otherwise, I may simply say I have my system dialed in and I can get by w/o the meter.

One side of me says stick with the familiar Hach and move forward by replacing the way too expensive probe. The more practical side says if the Apera is getting stellar reviews, this may be the more logical way to go.

Maybe someone that has bought an Apera for homebrew use will chime in and say yeah or nay.

Are we discussing the Apera PH60?
I have nothing useful to add; just listening in to ph meter talk.

I've been using the really cheap meters.
I went to amazon and sorted all meters from cheapest on up.
I picked the cheapest meter that claimed 0.01 resolution.
It gave up the ghost after 4 brews.
They sent a replacement as it had a 1 year warranty, but the replacement was a completely different meter and I have no idea what it is, but it calibrates (2 point) and shows a number with the same resolution.
Last brew, I checked my tap water ph, and sent a sample to ward labs.
The reading (7.75) matched the ward labs number (7.7).

Last edited:
I have found I trust Brun water entirely especially when using RO.

^ This!

I have the same Hatch meter and I like it when I use it. But I'm finding that I dont really *need* to use it like I thought I would. It mainly serves to give me warm fuzzy's that my use of Bru'n Water didnt land me on a bad pH. That and I'm really not sure that I'd be able to make an adjustment fast enough to matter if I was off.

If/when mine stops working or breaks, I doubt I'd spend that much to replace the probe. If I feel like I still want a pH meter when the time comes, I'll probably look for newer options that dont require cooling the sample first. They exist now but are pretty pricey. Maybe time will tame the cost...

My .02 is to stick with the Hach. Its the best pocket pH meter I have ever used. Why gamble on the unknown? Who knows who wrote those reviews and how much testing they did prior to writing them?
The Hach PP + is a proven performer.

That Apera PH 60 meter does look interesting for the price point plus the much cheaper replacement probe cost.

I'd wonder what @ajdelange and @mabrungard might have to say about this meter. I know Hatch and Milwaukee are generally mentioned as the trusted devices with cheaper ones typically not being trusted.

Last edited by a moderator:
My .02 is to stick with the Hach. Its the best pocket pH meter I have ever used. Why gamble on the unknown? Who knows who wrote those reviews and how much testing they did prior to writing them?
The Hach PP + is a proven performer.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered the $77 replacement probe for the Hach. The quality and reputation of this meter is what attracted me to it from the beginning.

That Apera PH 60 meter does look interesting for the price point plus the much cheaper replacement probe cost.

I'd wonder what @ajdelange and @mabrungard might have to say about this meter. I know Hatch and Milwaukee are generally mentioned as the trusted devices with cheaper ones typically not being trusted.

I'm still interested in hearing from those who have experience with the Apera PH 60.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a reason why I’m not thrilled with all-in-one meters. The user is confined to using only the manufacturer's replacement probes. Those probes can be pricey!

Using a pH meter that uses an industry-standard probe is almost always going to be less expensive. However if you’ve already drank the Kool-Aid, then I think it’s probably worthwhile to keep buying replacement probes when it's a really good meter.

Last edited:
So assuming 100% trust in brun water, wouldn’t you still want want to check ph prior to mashing?

So assuming 100% trust in brun water, wouldn’t you still want want to check ph prior to mashing?

As much as I hope that Bru'n Water is correct, there are too many variables to have that always be true. Measuring is the only way to assess the estimate and the resulting effect of the actual pH on the resulting beer. If you can afford it, its not a bad idea. Fortunately, you can make quite acceptable beer with the help of a program like Bru'n Water.

As much as I hope that Bru'n Water is correct, there are too many variables to have that always be true. Measuring is the only way to assess the estimate and the resulting effect of the actual pH on the resulting beer. If you can afford it, its not a bad idea. Fortunately, you can make quite acceptable beer with the help of a program like Bru'n Water.
Your modesty is noted.
Your spreadsheet is great.
I’m using the free version to make a couple of test brews.
If I decide to keep on messing with water, I’ll definitely be sending some support your way.

My point is, the only way to assess the estimation, is to measure the water before adjustment and a few minutes into the mash.
Even if you don’t want to be bothered with checking the mash ph, wouldn’t you need the starting water ph to feed the spreadsheet?

related question, what ph does the spreadsheet use for the dilution water?

I'm looking at the Hach as well, based on positive reviews here. On the other hand, for cheesemaking, I relied on the Extech Ph110 meter. After I went through a few of them - it seems QC is terrible, maybe they've improved, and the company sent a replacement with absolutely no questions asked (not even, sending the bum meter back), the meter was quite reliable and performed brilliantly. Refillable electrode. FYI.

Back