H/T Wedding Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphy2012

Reaction score
Good Day All,

My fiancee and I are planning to make the wedding favors (september wedding) for our wedding be our homebrew. Wanting to have a universally accepted type of brew, I am starting to develop a recipe and see how it pans out. I'll be making a test batch (3 gallon) this Friday, please note the below recipe is for a 5.25 fermenting volume gallon batch. Take a look at the recipe and critique away.

Name: H/T Wedding Ale (?)
Batch Size: 5.25
Brew Type: BIAB
Starting Strike Volume: 7 gallons

6.5 lb - American Pale 2 Row - 61.3%
3.5 lb - Pilsner - 33%
.6 lb - Vienna

0.25 oz Magnum 60 min 14.97
0.25 oz Citra 15 min 7.18
0.25 oz Amarillo 15 min 4.71
0.25 oz Citra 10 min 5.25
0.25 oz Amarillo 10 min 3.44
0.25 oz citra 5 min 2.89
1 oz Citra 0 min

Debating on WLP001 and 051.

Hack Away!

Cool. I'm doing the same thing except I brewed a wit bier for the bridesmaids and a chocolate milk stout for the groomsmen. Now I'm trying to figure out what beer I want to serve at my wedding.

Yes, a very pale ale. Sorry, I'm looking for something that will have a bit of a light body and some good fruity flavor that may appeal to a non seasoned craft beer drinker.

Of my family members and friends that enjoy craft beer, very few of them are fans of Pale Ale (just me). Perhaps your friends and family are different? If you're not sure, I would check. My family would go for a more malty variety like an English Mild or a Light American Ale or Lager.

Cheers!

If I recall, the 051 is supposed to be fruitier, and potentially add more body. The fruit should be nice for the style of beer, but if people aren't craft drinkers the full-ness might be off. From reviews on the white labs site, many say the fruit isn't really pronounced and the yeast is a little picky. WLP001 can tend to accentuate hops, which might bring out the fruit, but could also make the hops overbearing for lighter hopped BMC drinkers.

I might personally go with 051.

My plan is to give the test batch to my and Heather's folks and also some other non craft drinkers. Most of my family drinks AB crap, but will appreciate one beer on behalf of us.

My thought is to go with the 001 since I'm bombing the Citra and Amarillo at the end.

I did skeezerpleezer's zombie dust clone with wlp001 and it was fantastic. Its been a fan favorite and was loved even by those who weren't beer drinkers. That recipe looks to be a bit heavier on the citra than yours but I think would translate similarly and the wlp001 should play well with the citra/Amarillo combo. It's one of the beers I'm planning on brewing for my wedding this summer (although I have a test batch fermenting now with Conan which I would imagine would pair with citra/Amarillo as well).

Sometimes I have trouble figuring out whether I'm more excited about the wedding or brewing for the wedding though (also planning a chocolate peanut butter porter that I'm naming For Richer or Porter to serve with dessert too!)

Latest posts

Back