Gypsum and dry hop question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E5B

Reaction score
I'm using a recipe that calls for 2 tsp of Burton salts, will the same amount of gypsum have the same result?

I use the 1-2-3 method and want to dry hop this batch, when should I add the hops and for how long?

Gypsum and Burton salts are different. Burton water salts actually contain gypsum + potassium chloride & Epsom salts (at least at some HBS's!). To be honest, you really need to know your actual water profile before you start modifying it or you could have unintended consequences. I don't really like recipes that just blindly say "add this salt". What if I live in Burton? What if I live in the Pacific NW?

If you're on city water in the Triangle your water is probably fairly soft and you could add the salts without too much fear, but I really recommend finding out what your water profile is and what the various salts are used for.

As far as the dryhopping I would just add them when you rack to the secondary and you'll get a good two weeks of dryhopping.

Baron von BeeGee said:
Gypsum and Burton salts are different. Burton water salts actually contain gypsum + potassium chloride & Epsom salts (at least at some HBS's!). To be honest, you really need to know your actual water profile before you start modifying it or you could have unintended consequences. I don't really like recipes that just blindly say "add this salt". What if I live in Burton? What if I live in the Pacific NW?

If you're on city water in the Triangle your water is probably fairly soft and you could add the salts without too much fear, but I really recommend finding out what your water profile is and what the various salts are used for.

As far as the dryhopping I would just add them when you rack to the secondary and you'll get a good two weeks of dryhopping.

Well said.

That always gets my goat when a recipe calls for something like gypsum.
More than likely you don't need it, and more than likely it has a better chance of affecting the taste of the beer in a bad way vs. good.

E5B said:
My tap water is pretty bad so I use bottled "spring" water. How would that effect it?
I don't want to sound flippant, but it really depends on the analysis of the spring water. If you really want to use some salts you'd be better off getting distilled water (so you know where you're starting from) and then adding the specific salts that will give you the water profile you're looking for. There's a pretty good chapter on howtobrew.com that discusses the issue a lot more clearly than I can.

Baron, howtobrew.com has some great info and reading the water section answered some questions.

He states that for extract (I'm using a partial recipe) if the tap water smells and tastes good then use it. My tap water is terrible so I've been using 'spring' water. He also states that messing with brewing salts is not recommended unless you are an experienced all-grain brewer and need to adjust the ph of your water.

For now I'll leave the salts out and continue brewing my partial kits with spring water.

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back