Guy from Canada wants to buy my car

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavenly

Reaction score
He seems legit.

My car is a collector. 2008 Mustang.

He said I would need to give him copies of the title and my drivers license. That always raises a red flag for me. I've never shown anyone my drivers license when selling a car. But I understand it's difficult to bring a car into Canada.

Is this guy just trying to steal my identity? Any experience out there?

Why would a buyer need a seller's DL? That's completely irrelevant. And the title isn't an issue until the transaction is being made.

Likely an identity thief. Run like hell from this.

You certainly don't need the sellers DL to purchase or register a vehicle in Canada. That being said I've never imported one. Still don't think it's needed. Seems a bit suspicious to me? Or maybe he's misinformed on what's required?

It is possible the prospective buyer may have read about others who bought nonexistent vehicles or vehicles that were sold by other than the owner.

Yeah, when I have any doubts about a sale, I ask for ID.
You probably should check with US and Canadian Customs. Ask for his ID too, make it a cash sale.

Haha, I'll bet there's easier ways to get identity info than to set up an antique car purchase from Canada. Can't you just buy lists on the internet? I'm no expert :)

Probably legit, and the Canuck is as wary of you as you are of him.

He asked a lot of questions about the car and condition. Dickered with price too. Seems genuinely interested, but I'm not very keen on giving up my ID.

This seems like a perfect time to use an escrow company. Obviously you need an escrow company you can trust, and he needs one he can trust, so you'll probably have to mutually agree on one. But that's not all that hard.

He has no evident reason not to trust you, but he's trying to protect himself with a major purchase. You have no evident reason not to trust him, but you're trying to protect yourself with a major sale. That's what escrow companies exist to be--the trusted go-between that protects both parties.

When I lived in Phoenix I sold a car to a Canadian guy. He drove down from Calgary and trailered it home. I had it listed for $10k and we drew up a Bill of Sale for $5k. They searched the internet for several hours (while he waited) and they found the original for sale post. He was fined a lot but was able to keep the car.

If he wants the car, tell him to show up with the money. (or send the money) . When you have the money, you'll send the car, or he can take it away himself. Your driver's license doesn't have anything to do with it.

Back