"Gusher" Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenn514

Reaction score
All-wise fellow brewers...

On 13 September 2013, I brewed up a five-gallon batch of all-grain "Bourbon Barrel Porter" from Northern Brewer. My beginning s.g. was 1.060, and it finished off at 1.020. I have attempted to open three bottles...and all three were tremendous "gushers." It would seem that some sort of infection got into that batch. I suspect that the remainder of the batch will follow the "gusher" pattern. My knee-jerk reaction is to take the remaining 49 bottles out into the back yard and start popping them open and emptying them out. Anyone out there have a better idea or three???

glenn514:mug:

I wish I had better news, but I've tried everything, I've let them set for weeks, I've pried the cap just a little bit to release some C02, then cap it back. Nothing has worked. I even tossed one into a trash can and it went off like a gunshot.

Slowly dump 3-4 in a growler, let the foam drop and drink them a couple of hours later. Its a pain in the ass, but better than dumping.

you could also put them in the fridge to get cold, then in the freezer to make even colder.. they don't gush nearly as much if they are just about at freezing, just have to be sure to remove from the freezer before they actually freeze or you'll have a gusher in there as well :(

How do they taste? If they taste fine, it might not be an infection; you may have over-primed, or bottled before they were done fermenting.

If they taste good, I'd get them all cold, FAST, and then open each one 10-20 minutes before you want to drink, allowing them to get the gushing out. (Note: this still risks bottle-bombs, so if you choose this path, BE CAREFUL.)

If they taste infected, dump them all.

I did a Winter Warmer ale that gushed. The taste was a bit harsh for 6 months and they continued to gush for the next 9 months. I would pop the cap and lean the neck against a pint glass and let the foam pour up and over into the glass. I would then let it sit for a while. After the head receded a bit the beer was great. Now at over 2 years, they don't gush anymore. They still taste good but I think the flavor peaked 6 months ago.

You either had an infection in the bottle or fermentation was not done. Since you've had several so far, it's more likely your fermentation was not done.

I would personally take them in the backyard and carefully open them. If they don't all gush, then recap them. You're probably heading towards bottle bombs at this point. Putting them in the freezer will slow them down, put I think you'll have still have gushers if you go to open them.

OG 1.060 FG 1.020 is highly suspicious. Think that's your culprit--it wasn't done.

Back