Gusher Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bottled by first batch last Wednesday, and my instructions say to wait two weeks before drinking. I opened a (room temperature) bottle of beer today to test it, and foam started gushing out once I opened it. Is this just because it was at room temperature, or is my beer overcarbonated? If it is, should I put it in the fridge now and drink it, or should I try to wait two weeks? This is my first ever batch, so I don't really know what I'm doing.

Also, when I first brewed it, I used Brooklyn Brew Shop's no-rinse sanitizer, and some of the powder was not completely dissolved when I sanitized my fermenter. Is this normal and safe? I've started using Starsan now, but I want to make sure that my beer is safe to drink.

I tasted what I poured from the gusher that I opened today, and it seemed to taste fine, aside from the fact that it was warm.

Edit: This was not an extreme amount of gushing. A lot of foam came out, but I was able to pour what looked like a full glass of beer from my 12oz bottle when it was done.

Give them more time in the bottles, and then put one in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours. A couple of days is better. The carbonation needs to get into the beer and that takes time. Opening a warm beer will almost assure a gusher.

Are you sure fermentation was finished before you bottled? The most common cause of gushers is incomplete fermentation, and if the beer tasted OK, that sounds like a possibility in your case. How long did you ferment, and did you check the gravity before bottling?

Thanks. Should I just wait until the full 2 weeks are up before refrigerating?
Also, will there be a problem drinking it, considering what I said about the sanitizer?

Its the same as opening a warm soda versus a cold soda. The warm one will generally fizz and foam more.

As beergolf said give them more time then chill a couple days. I've found several hours to be plenty but a couple days won't hurt. If you give them just enough time to get cold you'll still have some foaminess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Did you check the gravity? That's the only way to know if fermentation was finished. Also, how much priming sugar did you put in? I'd probably put them in the fridge to cold crash them and stop additional carbonation from happening.

It could be that it didn't finish fermenting.

However, in my experience, when I open a warm bottle I almost always get a gusher. Chill the next one for a day or two, and then try it. Check that before you worry about anything else.

My first batch was from brooklyn. The directions called for 1 cup of maple syrup to prime. The problem is that it was a 1 gallon kit. My guess is that they put the same directions in for 1 and 5 gallon kits. However, you put your own priming sugar in. I am not certain how 1 cup of maple syrup translates to cane sugar, but I guess it is close. My bottles gushed out and I lost at least half of each one. Also one bottle bomb.

If the beer is young and warm, most of the CO2 will be in the headspace. When you release pressure you also greatly reduce the pressure causing the beer to foam out. Chilling the beer will force CO2 back into solution out of the headspace. I am guessing you will have a highly carbed beer regardless, but if it tastes fine then most likely not an infection.

Without knowing your carbing procedure it is difficult to provide more info though.

Most guys like a good gusher. Means you did your job right!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back