Gusher Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhokie

Reaction score
My last two batches have been a little on the fizzy side, larger bubbles and the head dies away pretty quickly. I thought I overcarbed and that was the problem.

The other day I opened one of my IPA's, reached for a glass, turned around and had a mild volcano of foam gurgling out of the bottle. Does this could like an infection? Do I need to soak the crap out of my bottling gear in Oxiclean and sanatizer, or is that not going to make much of a difference?

Depending how you carbonated the beer I've had some bottles in a batch that were far more carbonated than others. In my experience I haven't really seen an infection that causes excess carbonation. Mostly they just reveal themselves through bad smells and off flavors.

Regularly keeping your equipment as sanitized as possible is always a good idea, but I wouldn't be too concerned about the beer as long as it tastes good.

Back