Gunk at the bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nerdlogic

Reaction score
My primary carboy has like 1 inch of white gunk at the bottom, i know it wasnt there when i stirred up the wort before pitching the yeast.

is this ok, normal, varying depending on the brew, good, bad?

Should i give it another stir? :mug:

Its only been (THREE) days since I pitched the yeast.

I noticed it late on the first day.

I'm worried that the yeast started working after the "trub" had settled and my beer wont come out full.

It will definitely be fine. This is totally normal, and varies in intensity depending on the ingredients and process. I racked a pilsner last night that has about 2.5" of fine white sediment on the bottom and about 1" of brown chunkies on top. Once I was done syphoning, I chugged all the crud Rocky-style. Then I flexed in the mirror. :rockin:

Does it matter that in addition to sludge on the bottom it is also only pushing co2 through the airlock like once every 10 minutes? i mean, its definitely producing co2... do lagers always go so slow?

Lagers go slow, but they still give a pretty good kick 2-4 days in. I get lager blowoff when I've made a big starter.

You will always have something settle out of your brew no matter where it is, no matter when in the process. Even if you use three stages of brewing and clarifying, once you bottle, you will have sediment there too. It means that your yeast is happy and healthy and doing what you want it to do.

Yeast go threw a log cycle that increases their numbers by over 200 fold. Even though you see a large amount of yeast at the bottom mixed in the trub, there is alot that is still in suspension moving around within bubbles fermenting more and more... My cat tends to like to sit next to my primary and swat at the yeast clumps moving around during the most active fermentation. So long as you have any airlock activity at all, it means that there is still some yeast finding food...

What im really concerned with is whether or not I pitched the yeast into the brew and the good stuff settled before the yeast could begin its work---or the yeast went in but didnt start working til the good stuff settled.

The yeast knows where the good stuff is, so don't worry about that. There's plenty of yeast in suspension to keep working. The yeast that falls to the bottom is the flocculated stuff- so the bottom is a good place for it!

Its bubbling every 4-10 seconds now... the foam is rising... its exciting.

Dude, I've been yelled at for sitting in front of the lager fridge with the door open, 3 sheets to the wind, watching the beer show. SWMBO is probably filling out the paperwork for the asylum as we speak......

damn right it's exciting!!!

i've sniffed it, cider scent. it got to like 1-4 bubbles per second today it was at 58, i'm gonna bring it down to like 57.

Back