Gulp? No airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenandgold

Reaction score
I transferred my 3rd brew, an IPA from the primary to the secondary Thursday night. Tried it and it already tasted great (or at least a big improvement at this stage from my first 2).

Problem is that they stopper for my second carboy was the wrong size so I couldn't put an airlock on it. Worse problem was that I was going out of town till today and wouldn't be able to get to the LHBS till Monday. So I put a ziplock bag over the top and attached it with a rubber band.

4 nights like that, but I'm thinking I'll probably be ok. Hope I didn't ruin my best batch to date. :(

You should be fine. You won't be producing much CO2 at this point anyway. If your bag blows up like a balloon, think about venting it.

/\/\/\ A friend of mine had to use a baloon as he had a similar problem, going out of town and no airlock.

When he got home he said the balloon was half full, seems like a good makeshift solution. Wont burst off (unless tons of pressure) and makes a great seal.

Back