Guinness, yechhhhhh!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eh, this has been beaten to death a million times, but in my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with drinking Guinness. It may be the bottled water of the dry stout world but at least its not some pissy crap like Bud. Now if we were talking about a real Irish stout like BEAMISH... :p

Protestant stout.

I still enjoy Guinness in the states. I'm just saying that it tastes more like homebrew in Ireland.

Ah, so it's passable, yet people are far prouder of it than they have reason to be? :)

Guinness rocks. It's a classic representative of the style.

i enjoy Guinness... just too thin for my liking and lacks flavor. I love robust roasty stouts... MMMMM

tru.dat man. Too watery. If I want watery stuff, I'll drink some BMC or something. I got my own homebrew for stouts better than guiness if that's what I'm looking for.

I do love me some Guiness Draught... but there's a special place in my heart for Extra Stout. That stuff is absolutely delicious

The stuff we had was the "grocery store black can" stuff. Might be why it is so terrible. I don't like regular Budweiser, either, FWIW.

I don't buy that...The Guinness in the U.S. is brewed in Dublin. Just like the stuff for Ireland...

From their website:
Good point, I'll believe everything a US marketing agency tells me from here on out ;) See below. It's common response from those who have actually drank it over seas.

They may say Guinness is Guinness,but if you never had a pint poured in Dublin then you never had true Guinness stout.

Guinness is my favorite beer... I hear it is brewed from LME also.
:confused: Why would a brewery of that scale use LME? It would be financial suicide.

I understand maybe it's just the dry stout category I find weak. I've not had once besides Guinness. If I'm drinking a stout, I want it rich. Gonna try a buddy's Home Brewed Dry stout soon. I'll compare that.
Good thing about beer, everything likes what they like. I just think all the hype around Guinness is BS because it's a black beer you get in a bar.

did you drink the guiness straight from the can? Guiness is mixed with a sour batch of beer so that's where you might get that "chemical flavor".

It appears that all the Guiness Draught is supposedly brewed in Dublin. The Extra Stout for the US appears to be brewed in Canada buy the Labatt company.

Another interesting tibit from Wiki (how reliable is wiki, I know.)
"Guinness Stout is brewed under license internationally in several countries, including Nigeria[60][61], the Bahamas, and Indonesia.[62] The unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract is shipped from Dublin and blended with beer brewed locally."
This could also be where the thought comes from that it's breed from LME.

I have been a guiness lover ever since I spent time in Ireland. There is NOTHING better than a fresh pint of Guiness at a pub. There is a true art form to drinking guiness in Ireland. You dont sip it, you gulp it. If a local spots you with more than 5 rings in your glass you will get riduculed. Oh and the oyster at the bottom, let that puppy slide down your throat!

But I must partially agree with the OP, I bought a 6'r of the Draught last night for obvious reasons and thought it was nearly tasteless. My buddy had the 250th anniversary which was better. Then we went to a local watering hole and I had a pint of the Draught, much better but still not even close to what it tastes like in Ireland.

...end senseless rant

If you're drinking the bottles go for the Extra Stout.

I haven't tried the cans yet, but if they're nitrogenated it'll be nearly as thick and creamy as from the tap. Just open them carefully....I learned that with Bodington's Pub Ale. Didn't open carefully enough and lost half the can.

I will say I enjoy myself some Guinness from time to time. But I do remember when i thought of it as the liquid meal...until I started drinking things like Great Divide Yeti...

Guinness is still looked upon as one of the top commercial beers in the world.

Ah, so it's passable, yet people are far prouder of it than they have reason to be? :)

Guinness rocks. It's a classic representative of the style.

This too I find quite amusing. :)

I love Guinness, reading this post makes me want to gulp down 2... make that 3 pints, too bad I am at work. Fortunately I have a heavier stoutier clone of Guinness at home waiting, and no work tomorrow. Can't wait! :D

To the OP though, I'd give it a try at a busy pub. If you still are not a fan, to each his own.

I had it all over Ireland and its still one of my go to beers when Im at a bar. I can tell you 100% that it tasted the same. I heard all the rumors of "it tastes so much better in Ireland" and when I got there I was as giddy as a school girl! After one drink I was like WTF....this tastes exactly the same. We got it fresh from the factory and in many a pub. Taste wise, it was the same (I should say that it is the same if you go to a decent bar in the US that doesnt serve it too cold).

I will have to admit that when I first had Guinness it was from a can and I did not enjoy it. IMO the tap makes a difference.

I just got back from Ireland and London.
Had a few nitro draft pints at the Guinness Storehouse in Dublin; and many other times on draft in Ireland/London pubs; and, in the "widget" cans. It was awesome each time, but on draft was the best. (and Beamish stout I had in Cork at "The Oval" across from the brewery was real good too- more hops!).

To compare- I had it last night on St Patty's day, in a very busy Irish pub here at home (in San Francisco) and it was just not as good. no idea why, tho.

but if you don't like irish stout, that is OK too.

taste is highly subjective.

I had a steak once in a place in savannah, GA at a wedding reception - best dang steak I've ever gotten from a restaurant. I've been back several times since, and always get the steak and its just not the same.

perhaps, the fact that you are in ireland, just makes your guinness seem to taste better?

I havent been to Ireland recently, but last time we were there, they served Guiness Extra Cold...the bartender at the Pub stated that it was because you could fit more beer in a pint glass when it was served at a colder temperature...doesnt seem to fit logic to me, but apparently a lot of the locals bought into it. A lot of the pubs we went to served more of the colder version than the regular.

If you're drinking the bottles go for the Extra Stout.

I second this. I always go for the Extra Stout when available. I really can't stand Guinness from cans or bottles with that widget thing. It just has this terrible off flavor to it, I don't think that trying to replicate a beer gas tap in a bottle is such a great idea.

I havent been to Ireland recently, but last time we were there, they served Guiness Extra Cold...the bartender at the Pub stated that it was because you could fit more beer in a pint glass when it was served at a colder temperature...doesnt seem to fit logic to me, but apparently a lot of the locals bought into it. A lot of the pubs we went to served more of the colder version than the regular.

yep- the taps said "served extra cold" or something. I found no cask ale in IRE.

Wife bought some for dinner tonight. I thought the stuff tasted absolutely repulsive.:mad: My homebrew and BMC taste much better than that stuff.

Have you not had it before? Were you unprepared for the combination of sour beer and a black patent stout?

I used to like Guinness a lot. Lately, it is the one commercial beer I can drink. The others like Stella all seem overly cloying to me. Almost as if they brewed the beer, pasturized it, and then spiked it with corn syrup.

Have you not had it before? Were you unprepared for the combination of sour beer and a black patent stout?

I used to like Guinness a lot. Lately, it is the one commercial beer I can drink. The others like Stella all seem overly cloying to me. Almost as if they brewed the beer, pasturized it, and then spiked it with corn syrup.

Drink a Rolling Rock...now THAT is cloying.

Anyway, I'm an Extra Stout drinker. I agree that regular draught is too bland, and enjoy the bitter coffee notes of the Extra Stout.

One thing I have always wondered about was the ABV of extra stout, as many sources seem to differ on this subject. For instance, Beers of the World written by David Kenning says that "in the United States, Guinness Extra Stout is the name given to a stronger 'export' version of the beer, brewed to 8% alcohol." Meanwhile, the wiki says "Guinness Original/Extra Stout: 4.2 or 4.3% ABV in Ireland and the rest of Europe, 4.1% in Germany, 4.8% in Namibia and South Africa), 5% in the United States and Canada, and 6% in Australia and Japan." The college student in me says trust the wiki.

Drink a Rolling Rock...now THAT is cloying.

Anyway, I'm an Extra Stout drinker. I agree that regular draught is too bland, and enjoy the bitter coffee notes of the Extra Stout.

I agree, I had an extra stout bottle last night and it a much fuller/roastier flavor to it than the weak nitro cans. Won't likely buy it again, but it was better IMO.

. The Smithwicks tastes way different there .

+1 on that.

And Guinness, on draught in Dublin, oh I grow week in the knees. Here, not so much. It's ok now and then, but if I lived in Ireland I'd weigh 700 lbs just from constantly drinking pint after pint!

I went to school in Ireland in 2005. I heard about the whole "Guinness tastes better in Ireland" thing before I went and thought it was smoke and mirrors. Then I actually drank a pint in Limerick.

It was seriously night and day compared to what we have here. It tasted smooth and complex, yet unbelievably drinkable. The "watered down" taste I had with the Guinness in the US was gone. Honestly, Irish Guinness is one of the best beers I've EVER had.

According to the locals, it doesn't travel well at all which might explain the difference in taste. It's also packaged differently to make it across the pond as opposed to the way it's shipped locally. I toured the brewery too and they definitely do not use LME.

Im quite surprised that no one has picked up on this yet. So for the people who dont know Ill explain the "technique" of getting the most out of your pint of "Liffey Water".
First of all order your pint of Guinness. Then turn your back to the bar and admire the surroundings. After two minutes, face the bar and your bar person will finish pouring your drink. Now here is the most important thing, the drinking, pick up your glass and hold it with your elbow at 90 degrees to your body. You have got to drink the liquid through the head. Dont drink the beer, drink it through the head. You need at least 4 mouthfuls. Quietly, under your breath mutter something like "Feckin Jeez" and put your glass down (at this point it must point out that Guinness has got to be served in a proper Guinness glass). Once you have put your glass down, turn it 90 degrees. Only put your glass to your lips 3 times. On the second time order another.
Repeat until youve had enough. Dont rush, a good pub will never run out and a better pub will have more than you can drink.

HTH to all people who have or have not drank Guinness.

Forgot to add....Dont steal the glass...just ask the barperson if you can have a glass and the will say "Of course, just put a donation in the charity box on the counter".

Pick,

I wasn't a Guinness drinker for awhile...now I love it. I would also wonder if you drank this with food or right after a meal it would change the taste of it? Certain spices in the food could have altered the taste. My suggestion would be to try another one away from food, poured correctly and in a tulip glass. For the record I much prefer Guinness Draught in the can compared to the bottle. Also, nothing beats a Guinness poured
properly, straight from the keg on nitro.:mug:

Probst!

Pick,

I wasn't a Guinness drinker for awhile...now I love it. I would also wonder if you drank this with food or right after a meal it would change the taste of it? Certain spices in the food could have altered the taste. My suggestion would be to try another one away from food, poured correctly and in a tulip glass. For the record I much prefer Guinness Draught in the can compared to the bottle. Also, nothing beats a Guinness poured
properly, straight from the keg on nitro.:mug:

Probst!

"Tulip Glass" WTF. Giunness have spent millions of pounds developing their product. They do not want it drunk out of a "tulip glass".

See above post.

Most any beer is enhanced by the shape of a Tulip. Even Guiness.

As for the Dry Stout, it has it's places and times. I am generally not a fan of the standard Guiness offering but, sometimes with the right food pairing it is a nice pint.

The 250 was a bit mellower is the roast acridity but still not something I'd consider a go to beer. The FES has a nice sweetness in the background but, I don;t much care for it with food.

Hey Johhnyboy1965,

I guess when I went to the offical Guinness Webstore and they listed their glassware as a "Tulip Pint Glass" I was under the assumption I could call it a tulip glass. If you could please email or write Guinness and tell them they are wrong and have been for the last 250 F'ing years. I hear you Brits are good at telling the Irish what to do? Thanks so much. Cheers mate!

Well, the Guiness definition of a Tulip is non standard. the glass they are showcasing is a curvacious example of a tapered pint tumbler.

A typical Tulip is more akin to a wine glass.

However, in previous years the official glass was a tankard. However, being Irish it matters little what type of glass the Guiness is in so long as it's a full glass. Clean optional.

Back