Guinness clone, which one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serie171

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to homebrewing.... Guinness is by far my favorite beer and I want to try to clone it as much as I can (without using nitrogen, not ready for that yet). But, looking around, I'm getting differing recipes everywhere. There are two that I'm looking at, a kit from Northern Brewers and one at Midwest Supplies. I’ve listed the specifics below, which one do you think is going to mimic Guinness the most (I know it won't be perfect, just looking for the closest)? Or, if you have other ideas, they’d be appreciated!

Thanks!

NORTHERN BREWER:

SPECIALTY GRAIN

- 1 lbs English Roasted Barley

FERMENTABLES

- 6 lbs Gold Malt syrup

HOPS & FLAVORINGS

- 2 oz Cluster (60 min)

YEAST:

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast.

ALSO INCLUDED:

- 5 oz Priming Sugar

MIDWEST:

SPECIALTY GRAIN

- 4 oz Chocolate Malt

- 4 oz Carmel 10l

- 4 oz Roasted Barley

- 4 oz Flaked Barley

FERMENTABLES

- 6 lbs Dark LME

HOPS & FLAVORINGS

- 1/2 oz Nugget (60 min)

- 1 oz Williamette (2 min)

YEAST:

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast.

ALSO INCLUDED:
- 1 tsp Gypsum, priming sugar

the northern brewer one looks closer, but neither is that accurate. Guinness is about 70% 2-row, 20% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley (plus some sour beer mixed in).

dcp27 said:
(plus some sour beer mixed in).

Do a little searching on this. I did a Guinness clone (also no nitrogen, I bottled) and I think this was the most important part. I got really good flavor, but kinda weird mouthfeel.

Like I said, do a little searching. People have described the technique where you crack a Guinness open and put it in a bowl on your counter for a few days (covered). This will let it sour. Then you add it to your brew as you would add dry hops, fruit, etc. This made for really good flavor.

the northern brewer one looks closer, but neither is that accurate. Guinness is about 70% 2-row, 20% flaked barley, 10% roasted barley (plus some sour beer mixed in).

This. Although I skip the sour beer step, my dry stout is basically that recipe and comes out great (more Beamish than Guinness, but I prefer it that way).

I'm not too sure of the Midwest kit. Flaked barley should be mashed, but I don't see any base grains in there. And once you use "dark" LME, you've given up any control you have over the final product to whoever decided what to put in there to make it "dark." Also, a single bittering addition for the hops is sufficient. Not sure why they have a large aroma addition at flameout.

I'd recommend looking at the recipe database here on HBT. It doesn't cost any more to build your own recipe than to buy a kit (it's often less expensive), and the recipes on this site are pretty good with the instructions.

And finally, if you're comfortable with the process so far, I'd recommend that you try a mini-mash. To me, the flaked barley is the key to getting the proper mouthfeel, and as I said, it should be mashed. The process is identical to what you've been doing, except that you'll only start with about 1 1/2 quarts of water per pound of grain and instead of killing the heat when you add the grain, you're just going to adjust the heat to keep it between 150 and 155 degrees for an hour.

Oh, and by the way, when you're done, you can sort of simulate the nitro pour with a syringe. Just pick up one of those "flavor injectors" from your local grocery store. Pour about 3/4 of a glass and suck up about 1/2 an ounce in the syringe along with a little air. Then you forcefully inject it back into the beer. It kind of does the same thing as the restrictor plate in the stout faucet and you'll get the familiar cascade and a thick head. Then just top off your beer and enjoy.

Guinness clone for a five and a half gallon batch how would u work out how much grain for 70-20-10 that is pale flaked barley and roast barley in English pounds if u can help thanks
By the way I've been all grain brewing for about three years light ale and stout both on nitro the stout is a kind of a Samuel smith
Ale is my own recipe and it's a cracker it's got a Guinness head
Ps I will share it shortly thanks

No one in particular I've just read where it just says 70% 20% and 10% that's what someone said Guinness is made of maybe

I have done Guiness all over England , Ireland, Scotland and Wales finding that it doesn't repeat very well in commercial outlets, so on what will you measure your clone . This is a really tough call.

Let's say u we're using 10.5 pounds pale for your 70% could u work out your 20% flaked barley and your 10% roast barley for that thanks if so it could b very good

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but if you are just looking for 70, 20, and 10% of your grainbill (by weight) you would need 10.5 pale, 3 flaked, and 1.5 roast. That gets your proportions right if you want 10.5 pale. If you want 10.5 total, you need 7.35 pale, 2.1 flaked, and 1.05 roast.

Sorry if I am misunderstanding.

Do a little searching on this. I did a Guinness clone (also no nitrogen, I bottled) and I think this was the most important part. I got really good flavor, but kinda weird mouthfeel.

Like I said, do a little searching. People have described the technique where you crack a Guinness open and put it in a bowl on your counter for a few days (covered). This will let it sour. Then you add it to your brew as you would add dry hops, fruit, etc. This made for really good flavor.

Also, I know this is an older post, but you want to add the soured beer to the boil, and not in the primary/secondary. You want to be sure to kill off the bacteria that you used to sour it because otherwise you will end up with bottle bombs from the infection you added or a highly sour beer.

Thanks for that but I think I will discard the flaked barley because I think it gives u a brown head that's from experience even with the nitro I think I will stick with the flaked oats instead

Latest posts

Back