"Guilty" confessions of a beer enthusiast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you on this one eastoak. Not to knock anyone for drinking BMC but I just can't do it.

And not to hijack the thread, but I think this is a good place to tell a little story, and it fits with the drinking ****ty beers with inlaws theme here.

The insult: At Thanksgiving (the Canadian one) we had my brother-in-law and his wife over. I had a case of 24 Mill Street Tankhouse Ale on hand (for those of you unfamiliar, this is a really really good micro-brewed hoppy pale ale from Toronto). The brother in law proceeded to polish off a bunch of them and when we ran out of beer, he offered to buy the next case, went to the beer store and came back with 12 Labatt's Blue. To me, this is a huge party foul. I did not drink any, as I had some good rum on hand. He left the Blue, and made the comment that he expected them to be "improved" by Christmas - meaning that he expected me to drink the ****ty beer and replace it with something good.

The revenge: I tried to drink a blue after cutting the grass one day, and I got about 2 sips in before dumping it (again not knocking anyone who likes the stuff, but I just can't do it). I thought, "How can I get back at him for doing this terrrible injustice to my beer fridge?" So, here's what I did: I have put a little "IMPROVED" sticker on each bottle of his crappy beers and put them in the fridge next to my home brews. When he asks for a beer, that will be what he gets.

Is this reasonable?

You should clean the lables off recap them and tell him they are homebrews.

I've always had a soft spot for Busch. Spelled pretty much however you like, for that matter.... Much prefer it to Bud and especially to Miller.

Piratwolf said:
I've always had a soft spot for Busch. Spelled pretty much however you like, for that matter.... Much prefer it to Bud and especially to Miller.

I agree here. Busch was the go to beer when floating the Illinois river, and you never cared if a little river water for in your beer :)

Piratwolf said:

Lone Star FTW!!!

I haven't had lone star in years. I think of it every time I watch the character lone star in space balls. It was highlighted in the movie "take this job & shove it" with big foot & Johnny Paycheck.

Until home brewing changed my life I was a "Hard Core" Moosehead fan.. As years of drinking Budweiser and other AB beers took its toll I got to the point I couldn't drink them if I wanted due to the terrible heartburn. I got to so bad that I was going to quit drinking all together until I switched solely to Moosehead. I can honestly say that Moosehead beer NEVER gave me heartburn or a hangover....even when consumed excessively. I still drink Moosehead but will politely turn down any AB beers because it's not worth the pain to me. I like session beers that are refreshing for every day drinking but also like a hoppy IPA every now and then.

There is always miller lite I'm fridge. And busch light will always be near to my heart as it sustained me through college, when I could afford no other. Natty light was a dollar per case cheaper, but even a poor college kid has to draw the line somewhere.

I always drink Keystone Light, Old Milwaukee Light, Genny Light and an occasional PBR.
I actually found the orange keystone light can this year in the 30 packs, i was so proud ;)
If I'm at a party or a friends house or whatever and they only have ****ty beer, i'l drink it (for example Burger Classic)

I've got a soft spot for a nice cold 40oz of Old Milwaukee or a 12 pack of Olympia, Milwaukee's Best Ice, and one of my all time favorites Mosse Head light lime.

Boggles my mind that so many homebrewers and craft beer drinkers would tolerate such poor beer styles as light American lagers. I would be embarrassed to offer such a beer to anyone, including my worst enemy. Hell, my dog drinks better beer than that.

I find it silly you say this, yet your signature clearly states you specialize in wheat beers...
Yes. Malted wheat is malt. Malted barley is malt. Follows the Reinheitsgebot just fine: malt, hops, yeast, water. I didn't contradict myself at all between what I posted and my signature line.

Weizenwerks said:
Boggles my mind that so many homebrewers and craft beer drinkers would tolerate such poor beer styles as light American lagers. I would be embarrassed to offer such a beer to anyone, including my worst enemy. Hell, my dog drinks better beer than that.

When I finish mowing the yard and it is incredibly hot outside, an American light lager is one of the most refreshing things in the world. I believe the reason American light lager is such a huge hit with the blue collar set is because it really tastes great after hard work. IMHO there is nothing wrong with the style, just the perception of the 'evil' breweries that make the style.

I think it's the same as eating a fast food burger. I know there is better out there, hell I can make better myself. For some reason, though, given the right circumstances, nothing beats a Teenburger or a Whopper.

This may be blasphemy on this board, and please take it for what it's worth, but it is just beer:)

i am not huge fan of beer in general. i just started making my own beer, first extract kit in primary right now. while i enjoy bud / high life / sam summer etc. i think my real joy will come from sharing my creations with my friends and famil / actually creating something that tastes good

TyTanium said:
Personally, I'm huge fan of the Walgreens "Big Flats" adjuct lager. I know, I know, it's supposedely worse than BMC, but an ice cold one is so refreshing while doing yard work. Just don't let it warm up. And $2.99 for a sixer means more money spent on MY beer.

+1 to Big Flats. Although I've never met a beer I wouldn't drink.

I believe the reason American light lager is such a huge hit with the blue collar set is because it really tastes great after hard work.
That's the problem, there is little flavor to it. Barely any hops, barely any malt. The poor blue collar workers need to get a better job so they can afford better beer with real flavor.

I think it's the same as eating a fast food burger. I know there is better out there, hell I can make better myself. For some reason, though, given the right circumstances, nothing beats a Teenburger or a Whopper.
I wouldn't know, I don't eat fast food.

Weizenwerks said:
That's the problem, there is little flavor to it. Barely any hops, barely any malt. The poor blue collar workers need to get a better job so they can afford better beer with real flavor.

If you have ever done a hard days work usually the last thing you want is a barrel aged stout or an imperial IPA. I understand that some people have the luxury of never having to drink a cheap beer, but believe it or not there are times when a cheap beer is preferred. When I play disc golf I love cheap beer cause i won't get too drunk and it is very refreshing. When I am finished with yard work or any form of manual labor cheap beer gives you some beer flavor with a lot of liquid refreshment. Personally there are beer styles I don't prefer (rauchbeer comes to mind), but I can't say they are any beers I wouldn't drink.

Airborneguy said:
I'd say you just took snobbery to a whole new level.

I'd say he just took being a ****** to a whole new level. You just pissed off a lot of people who are gonna read this. You should have prefaced that statement with "Not to be a dick, but", because thats what that statement makes you sound like. Or is it just ignorance?

I'm talking about this statement, not Airbornes

Weizenwerks said:
The poor blue collar workers need to get a better job so they can afford better beer with real flavor.

You're the kind of *****enozzell that that gives us all a bad name.

I think we have the EAC of the decade here folks. :rolleyes:

(He's probably a hipster as well.)

I just don't have a palate for the macro stuff... having only gotten into enjoying beer at all from an IPA tasting at whole foods.

That said, I love a well done lager. Czechvar and Pilsner Urquell, if you can get them unskunked, are delicious and I will drink them by the case.

bernerbrau said:
That said, I love a well done lager. Czechvar and Pilsner Urquell, if you can get them unskunked, are delicious and I will drink them by the case.

Sam Smith's Pure Brewed Lager is pretty legit also.

Weizenwerks said:
The poor blue collar workers need to get a better job so they can afford better beer with real flavor.

On second thouht, I take back my last post. Theres no way thay was a serious comment. Just some friendly ribbing.

Airborneguy said:
Unfortunately, it was serious. Take a look at some of his other posts.

Darnit, now I gotta find a better job than my 100 dollar an hour blue collar job. Guess I should stop buying 25 dollar bombers and 4 packs too.

You just pissed off a lot of people who are gonna read this.
I'm not their emotional tampon nor responsible for their thin skin.

You should have prefaced that statement with "Not to be a dick, but", because thats what that statement makes you sound like.
Using the word "but" is a negator which negates any statement before the negator. If you use the word "but" in that statement the statement of "not to be a dick" is negated and is false. Using the word "but" doesn't excuse what you are about to state. Saying "not to be a dick, but" clearly negates "not to be a dick".:)

This thread went completely left all of a sudden, didnt it? Bound to happen eventually...

I wouldn't know, I don't eat fast food.

You must live the most sad, boring life imaginable.

You keep knocking the personal tastes/preferences of everyone who posted in this thread. Remember, taste is personal, that's what it's all about. In a blind test I'd probably spit one of your wheat beers out because I don't get the concept/flavour of them; been trying them for ten years and haven't enjoyed the flavours, so I probably never will. But I'd never tell you that you were wrong to enjoy them, or bash them to show my superiority. Trust me, right about now I don't need to say much more to feel pretty confident in my sense of ease with myself after reading your posts.

No hard feelings fella, must be tough having to slum it with all us hillbilly cretins. Watch out, our poor taste might rub off.

Latest posts

Back