"Guilty" confessions of a beer enthusiast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are the types of threads I love to read, but hate to subscribe to...

Airborneguy, you kill me.

That said, I love a good Coors Light, and have total respect for their brewers! Those guys are actually well trained and super smart!

Cheers! (unsubbing now) :)

I go to Blue Moon or Coors Lights for my cheap beers, but other than that. Its all about the Local breweries tasting rooms, my homebrew, and good imports and domestics. But can't touch Miller Lite any day of the week! I would rather die than drink a miller lite or bud light!

My guilty confession will never be weizen beers. Theyre tasteless crap with no personality, and weizen beers don't work for me. Most breweries that specialize in them are scared to brew other beers because they din't have the personality or skill to do so. Weizens suck.

My guilty confession is pretty simple. . .

They aren't my favorite, but I do like a lot of "yellow" beer styles - so long as they are well crafted!! Not BMC stuff, but craft brewed Blonde Ale, Kolsch, Cream Ale, Helles, etc. When I get a sampler at a brewpub, I'm always eager to try their light offering, just to see if it's good. I rarely order that beer as a full pint, but I always like trying them. I also like to brew blonde ales, cream ales, etc.

Give me a Narragansett any day of the week.

Also, this thread was a fantastic laugh, thanks for that! Congratulations, e-detectives - keep making those forums safe from snobby trolls.

What is so "guilty" about this?

They aren't my favorite, but I do like a lot of "yellow" beer styles - so long as they are well crafted!! Not BMC stuff, but craft brewed Blonde Ale, Kolsch, Cream Ale, Helles, etc. When I get a sampler at a brewpub, I'm always eager to try their light offering, just to see if it's good. I rarely order that beer as a full pint, but I always like trying them. I also like to brew blonde ales, cream ales, etc.

Howie said:
Nothing really. Those styles (particularly blonde ale and cream ale) tend to be frowned upon by the general beer geek community.

I don't think that's necessarily true... Ive got a triple decoction bohemian pilsner lagering in the fridge that was by far the most challenging and time consuming beer I've made, and it rocks. Yellow beers can actually represent a pinnacle of brewing prowess ;)

I don't think that's necessarily true... Ive got a triple decoction bohemian pilsner lagering in the fridge that was by far the most challenging and time consuming beer I've made, and it rocks. Yellow beers can actually represent a pinnacle of brewing prowess ;)

I agree. I also agree with airborneguy that no style of beer should be frowned upon. Just because it's mass produced doesn't mean it was easy to get to that point, or didn't take any skill. That line of thinking is completely ignorant. Sure, it's main consumer base does not appreciate what goes into it and think it's "cool" and the only beer they'll drink. But as craft brewers, you'd think most of us would appreciate exactly what goes into it...

My confession would be my sweet tooth. I love a good pale ale or IPA now and then, but I could have Southern Tier's Mocha or Chocolate Stout every night for dessert. Being that I have a sweet tooth, I think Old Rasputin is absolutely appalling and almost dumped out my 4 pack.

You shouldn't ashamed for liking those styles (or any other) at all.

This. To paraphrase Charleton Heston, "You can have my beer when you pry it from my cold, dead hand."

bottlebomber said:
beers can actually represent a pinnacle of brewing prowess

And this. I may not want to drink a Bud Light, but I'm pretty sure I can't make one of the same quality as AB did.

xjmox14x said:
Being that I have a sweet tooth, I think Old Rasputin is absolutely appalling and almost dumped out my 4 pack.

Lol... Olde Raspy takes some working up to. The first time I had one I was 19 and had to force it down. Not for everybody. It is my wife's favorite beer though

Ok ok I have a confession to make.
The last time I was in Germany I paid for my Weizens with ****** marks.

Yeah, that works. I'd rather have a Stone RIS, or a Blue Point imperial sour cherry stout. Not that raspy is bad, just different than what I want in a RIS. As long as its not a Weizen. Weizen blows. Weizen bock, dunkelweizen, weizenbier.....no character. Weizen sucks. The whole style of weizen could eat my sweaty drawers after a day of EARNING over a hundred dollars an hour.

high life for sure

granted i went through my beer snob phase (mainly trappist and trappist-style ales) before i went through my college malt liquor days, so i'm all sorts of backwards (i WILL be brewing a malt liquor once i go all grain)

I actually like to interrupt a BBQ day's full of drinking the HB with a few Millers or PBRs to clear the pallate and sober up a bit.

Airborneguy said:
If you're really making $100 an hour, I don't want to hear crap about lazy cops like me making $100k a year on your taxes. Hmm, I wonder what "cops" in , Midwest make a year?
Well, my hourly pay is only 51, but my medical, annuity, and 401k match adds up to 101 dollars an hour. I'm such an underpaid lowlife that I should really be drinking and brewing adjunct laden pi$$ beer instead of buying 25 dollar bombers.

I've heard cops in the ,midwest live double lives as internet brewers and gunsmiths.

Revvy said:
Hopefully it that high grade stuff, not too cut up and definitely not that crack crap...you'd have to be like really blue collar if you did that crack.
:D

Us blue collar low lives can't afford real coke. Geez, i'd have to drain my 200,000 dollar 401k fund that I unnecessarily worked hard for for the last 12 years to afford real caine.

hoppymonkey said:
I actually like to interrupt a BBQ day's full of drinking the HB with a few Millers or PBRs to clear the pallate and sober up a bit.

PBR rules. The price just went up here from 6 bucks a 12 pack to 8 bucks. Too rich for my blood

You and my cousin do the same thing: add everything into your hourly salary. What's with you union guys anyway? Don't you know your place? Crack open a High Life and go wash your hands for 2 hours to get the grime off.

When I retire, like a REAL MAN, I'm moving to , Midwest.

Miller Lite is like having sex in the bottom of a canoe. It's f---ing near water! That being said when I run out of home brew I drink Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA or maybe something a little more pedestrian like Bass Ale. But I do have to admit that one of our local pubs was running a happy hour with free Miller Lite, and I went. I can only justify it because it was free.

Airborneguy said:
You and my cousin do the same thing: add everything into your hourly salary. What's with you union guys anyway? Don't you know your place? Crack open a High Life and go wash your hands for 2 hours to get the grime off.

You will lose all personality if you move to , Midwest. Everyone will hate you, and you'll need to have three careers to make what others make with one. And people will pay for your beer with ****** marks. Good luck with that

Wanna laugh? The first beer I ever legally drank was literally paid for in Deutsche Marks. My boss gave it to me in Kosovo on my 21st birthday, totally against the rules.

thetragichero said:
(i WILL be brewing a malt liquor once i go all grain)

Hey, man, nothing guilty about that. Colt 45, works every time, right? Billy Dee wouldn't steer us wrong...

Airborneguy said:

I hear that's a great place to pick up one of the popular new non-adjunct brewed sweaty drawer fruityweizens. Let me know how they are.

I will stay here with the hookers.

I guess mine would be that I like BPR with some salt or miller lite with a little salt. especially in the summer or at Bristol for the car race.

SittingDuck said:
Hey, man, nothing guilty about that. Colt 45, works every time, right? Billy Dee wouldn't steer us wrong...
This Billy Dee?

Last edited by a moderator:
This Billy Dee? ]

No, this Billy Dee.

Come to think of it, that guy would totally steer you wrong. Colt 45 will sell you to the dark side!

2012-02-14-21-22-30-347616088.jpeg

Yeungling is definitely my guilty confession, it's my go to beer when not drinking crafts. I will also enjoy a dos equis and some miller products every now and again.

Back