Guidance on a hop substitute for williamette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torontobrew

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've brewed. I'm finally gearing up to give an all grain biab a shot this weekend.

Quite some time ago (years) I purchased loads of ingredients through bulk buys (hoping to start brewing a lot earlier than I have). This has left me trying to figure out a simple starter recipe to go with.

I have everything I need to do northern brewer's Lindbergh American wheat with the exception of williamette hops.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/lindbergh-all-american-wheat-beer-biab-recipe-kit.html

I've searched around and just don't have the knowledge to figure out what to do with the hops I have as a substitute.

I don't mind if the character of the brew changes somewhat, just that it's not some absurd use of hops....

I have: cascade, chinook, n.brewer, and saaz. All in pellets.

Any suggestions or input welcome !

Thank you.

None of those are really a good sub for willamette, which has this wonderful "Englishy" flavor to it. Another English hop style would be closest, like East Kent goldings, I'd think.

Still, since the willamette are bittering hops, you could get by with the cascade. Chinook is too flavorful, but northern brewer would work as well.

None of those are really *good* substitutes... What's your hop schedule like?

If it's mostly bittering and not much aroma or flavor then Northern Brewer might be your best bet.

Willamette is related to Fuggle, an earthy British hop but Willamette is more fruity. NB is also described as earthy & fruity

I would think cascade would be too citrusy and chinook too piney.
Saaz.. maybe.

How old are those hops and how were they stored? They can lose some oomph if stored too long or improperly.

ETA:

D'oh... Yooper got her answer in there while I was verifying I knew what I was talking about :) I'm glad my opinion matches hers!

Thank you very much indeed! Perhaps I will post new and list what I have for grain as well. Rather than 'get by' I a sure there is a recipe that could be made with what I have - I just can't seem to figure it out.

Cheers

Thank you very much indeed! Perhaps I will post new and list what I have for grain as well. Rather than 'get by' I a sure there is a recipe that could be made with what I have - I just can't seem to figure it out.

Cheers

What you have is fine! It's close to what you want to do, except for the bittering hops (which is no big deal). I generally keep magnum hops on hand just for that purpose- you can bitter anything, from German lagers to American IPAs, with a neutral bittering hop.

Latest posts

Back