Guest Books for home bars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auger

Reaction score
I'm looking for some ideas here. I was over at my brother in law's parents house, and they have a pretty significant home bar in their house. On the bar, they keep a log book that people have signed over the years when they gather for various events. I think the thing goes back to the 70s some time. Looking through it, there are pages signed by people gathered for Christmas, holidays, birthdays, deaths, anniversaries, all sorts of occasions. I thought it was a really cool idea. I'm in the process of designing and building a bar for our basement and I want to start a similar thing, but I've been having trouble finding or coming up with ideas for something that would look at home on a nice wood bar. I don't want just a crappy spiral bound notebook or something. anyone have ideas or links for stuff that would work?

I'm looking for some ideas here. I was over at my brother in law's parents house, and they have a pretty significant home bar in their house. On the bar, they keep a log book that people have signed over the years when they gather for various events. I think the thing goes back to the 70s some time. Looking through it, there are pages signed by people gathered for Christmas, holidays, birthdays, deaths, anniversaries, all sorts of occasions. I thought it was a really cool idea. I'm in the process of designing and building a bar for our basement and I want to start a similar thing, but I've been having trouble finding or coming up with ideas for something that would look at home on a nice wood bar. I don't want just a crappy spiral bound notebook or something. anyone have ideas or links for stuff that would work?

First thing i thought of was a journal, google search for "large journal" came up with this:
journal_large_front_L.jpg

200+ pages and looks nice too.

Maybe look into something like a boater's logbook. Sounds like something similar.
Or just look up guestbook. So many B&Bs have guest / log books, there has to be somewhere to get them.

Your local art supply store will have some journals in the front. Even something like a moleskin would probably be classy looking enough.

GREAT idea - wish I had thought about it back in '99 when I built my home bar! - A lot of forgotten elbows over the years!

bar2_zpskf7ffdmw.jpg

A couple years ago, a coworker and his wife bought an acreage. One of the things they noticed was the wall along the stairway to the basement had a bunch of signatures on it. They asked the previous owners about it, and apparently when the kids were in high school, one of their friends was over visiting and for some reason decided to sign the wall. The parents decided they kind of liked the idea, and from that day forward, any guest to the house was asked to sign the wall - if it was family coming over for the holidays, or just friends stopping by. My coworker and his wife did extensive renovation and remodel to the house, but left that wall untouched, and have decided to continue on the tradition. I don't remember if they are staying with the same wall, or if they are starting on the next wall over in the basement.

I'm debating building a feature like that into my bar.

Back