Growlers and bottling carbing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbos17

Reaction score
Can I bottle carb growlers and wine bottles? If so what stoppers do you guys use? Thank you!

Wine bottles ..no
Champagne bottles.. Yes

Some growlers yes!

I have a couple swing top growlers that are like ball shaped and are very thick. Have been carbing in those for years and asked the brewery when I purchased them if I could bottle condition in them.

I wouldn't trust some of the others with the tin or plastic screw on caps though.

Just my .02

No.

Well, you can but it's in the category of yes you can drive without a seat belt, yes you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, and yes you can not always point a firearm in a safe direction.

That is, you can do it, but it's very dangerous to do it. Growlers and wine bottles are not made to contain pressure. Carbing requires you to create lots of pressure. When the growlers explode, the can blow with enough force to embed glass in drywall or in you.

I've actually lighty carbed a few wine bottles myself - just a little plastic wrap around the threads. No explosions.

Yup. And there are people who have driven without a seat belt and didn't have an accident. Doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do.

No.

Well, you can but it's in the category of yes you can drive without a seat belt, yes you can ride a motorcycle without a helmet, and yes you can not always point a firearm in a safe direction.

That is, you can do it, but it's very dangerous to do it. Growlers and wine bottles are not made to contain pressure. Carbing requires you to create lots of pressure. When the growlers explode, the can blow with enough force to embed glass in drywall or in you.

How are they meant to not hold pressure when they are filled at breweries and sent home sealed all the time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not use 2 liter soda bottle with a carbonator cap?

I have 4 carb caps and use those too. But if you want to have it end up in a bottle (for presentation, sunlight, or whatever) you lose carb in transferring it so you have to over carb and hope for the best with the estimation. It is the cheapest and most strait forward way to go though.

Back