Growler Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popecrisco

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question.

Last weekend i pick up a couple growlers of beer while in NC for a wedding, today i open the first of the two, and while there is some carbonation, it is essentailly flat beer. Is this common? I went to the brewery (green man brewery) where this was made, and it had a respectable head from the tap.

Oh well, still a pretty tasty IPA, just no fizzle.

Beer in growlers poured at a pub/brewery should be consumed within a few days. While it's possible for it maintain carbonation for a week or more, you shouldn't expect it to last long.

Beer in growlers poured at a pub/brewery should be consumed within a few days. While it's possible for it maintain carbonation for a week or more, you shouldn't expect it to last long.

actually i bought this at a grocery store in my way out of town.

c'est la vie, I suppose.

In my experience a week is too long to leave beer in a growler. I have been told two, three days max until you have to open and drink, but they never seem to last that long around me.

A growler with a good lid will last a while, I've had one after 3 weeks still be good. Once their opened it's game over, you have a day max to drink it.

_

I've purchased Rogue growlers (jugs) in the past from a grocery store refrigerated cooler. No idea how long it was in store, but it was awesome and well carbonated. Yellow Snow to be exact! I also got a jug of Rogue I2PA from the bar @ Rogue in Newport and what we didn't finish that night was flat as can be the next afternoon. So properly packaged it will last a good amount of time. You can also buy better plastic caps if you are going to fill them at home for longer term storage (from the keg already carbed).

Back