Growler caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorBrew

Reaction score
What are the best growler caps: metal or plastic?

Now that I only keg, I'm constantly filling growlers to share beer and I'm concerned about preserving carbonation. Better caps? Better fill technique? ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388424628.950017.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1388424641.417418.jpg

I use the plastic cone caps because the can be reused and have kept the carbonation in a growler for up to 3 weeks if it has not been opened. Most of the metal caps are one use only and don't seal well upon reuse.

Would you mind either posting or sending me your recipe for your Czech Pilsner I want to try making one.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/38-mm-polyseal-screw-caps.html

I used the Bohemian Lager yeast from Wyeast. I fermented it in a cold part of my basement that stayed between 52 and 56 degrees. Then I lagered for one month.

I just ordered ingredients to do this one again. I'm using Hallertauer instead of Tettnang and adding another half ounce of Saaz this time. Also, I might be using a different strain of lager yeast (a friend of mine is giving me some... not going to argue!)

I used the Bohemian Lager yeast from Wyeast. I fermented it in a cold part of my basement that stayed between 52 and 56 degrees. Then I lagered for one month.

I just ordered ingredients to do this one again. I'm using Hallertauer instead of Tettnang and adding another half ounce of Saaz this time. Also, I might be using a different strain of lager yeast (a friend of mine is giving me some... not going to argue!)

I have some Hallertauer that i want to use. Did your version come out with a strong hop flavor?

If you ever want to move to a smaller size of growler I would recommend these from Amazon. They are 32 oz (2 pints) and come with the poly seal cone cap. I like to use these to send beer with people that don't want 64 oz (a full standard growler) or perhaps want 2 different beers I have on tap. In the review comment many people describe the poor packaging of these bottles but I have ordered twice from this supplier this last year and both times each individual bottle was bubble wrapped and packed very well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U14FAE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Not too strong of a hop flavor, but some hop presence. I added a bit more Saaz at the end to help the nose. My usual supply store (Austin Homebrew) was out of Tettnang and I didn't want to bother ordering elsewhere. So I subbed in some Hallertauer (a favorite Noble hop of mine). We shall see!

Latest posts

Back