Growing Piney hops - Northern Brewer or Chinook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sareinhart

Reaction score
I want to grow hops with a piney aroma. I can find both Northern Brewer and Chinook hops rhizomes.

Quick survey - Which is better Northern Brewer or Chinook?

I know this is super old, but I would definitely go with Chinook! Northern Brewer is great, but I think it has more of a woody pine scent to it.

I love Chinook and think it has a great piney aroma and taste that is more what I think of when I think of a piney beer.

+1 to chinook. That was why I planted one 2 years ago. Trouble is, it's super prolific and now I have way too much chinook for 1-2 piney IPA's per year :)

I probably like Northern Brewer better, but they aren't piney (IMO).

After posting this thread, I went and brewed a batch with Chinook hops for flavor and aroma. It's wonderful. I decided to call it "Christmas Ale" because it smells like a christmas tree and has enough alcohol to get you through the holiday with your insane in-laws.

:cross:

After posting this thread, I went and brewed a batch with Chinook hops for flavor and aroma. It's wonderful. I decided to call it "Christmas Ale" because it smells like a christmas tree and has enough alcohol to get you through the holiday with your insane in-laws.

:cross:

That smell is just wonderful isn't it? Cheers on the piney goodness! :mug:

Back