Growing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never really planed on getting my hopes up, but that piece of info is a bit of a pisser. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to buck up and buy em.

:off: on a side note, the hbt android app is pretty awesome :rockin:

I went to the site and ordered 4 sets of rhyzomes and started doing some other searching about a month ago. I decided I'd give it a shot and ordered beans, tomatos, corn, basil, went a little crazy actually. Just when I had given up hope, I got my first package. I've recieved one email stating "Based on our evaluation of your request, we suggest that your needs would be better met by purchasing seeds from a local or on-line vendor of vegetable seeds." But then the packages started rolling in. Still no hops, but I have about 8 packs of various seeds. I'm in Portland, so at least resonably close to Oregon State University which is where many of the hops I ordered are coming from. Hopefully cheap postage makes it more likely. Anyway, no word on hops yet, but the request process at least works.

I guess I should've quoted stevefarns for the previous post... the android app is slightly less second nature than posting on a pc. Apologies for the mixup :drunk:

My guess would be that they only send out hops to research organizations, farms, etc. and only when the research purposes are more than a one line statement.

I am going to make a request for several varieties. Since I will be maxed out on hop growing space this year, I would be happy to send anything I get to somebody else to grow.

I'm guessing they are sending them out now to get some rooting in the late summer to survive the winter and grow anew next spring?

Anyway, I'm not sure what I will do with all of these rhizomes. I guess I will be planting them in grow bags. I'm sure the wife will be thrilled that I am taking over her yard. At least the grow bags can be moved, unlike my current hop garden that is dying under the terrible heat wave, so I can keep them out of direct sunlight all day.

Anyway, here are the varieties I requested:

Brewer's Gold
Striesselpalt
Blue Northern Brewer
Styrian Golding
Tardif de Bourgogne
Swiss Tettnanger
Precoce de Bourgogne

They came in today. They aren't rhizomes, they're germplasms and I got 42 of them. No idea how to work them... I'll have to do some research

I also received my germplasms this week. They are definitely cuttings, no root action.

I placed them in jars with water and a small amount of rooting fertilizer on an interior window ledge. I will monitor root growth. Once a good healthy root has formed I will transfer them to soil outside. I hope to be able to keep them growing inside for a few weeks until the temperature drops into the 90s.

I wish I knew if I received only female or only male. I would hate to have these cuttings be male and start sexing up the other hops and producing seeds.

I tossed mine in water with some rooting hormone. So far I have new growth on the Precoce de bourgogne, Swiss Tettnanger, Styrian Golding and Stresselspalt. The Brewer's Gold doesn't look like it's doing well. The Tardif de bougogne looks like it wants to grow but isn't there yet. I'll probably put them in some potting soil over the weekend.

i got mine at the beginning of aug as well I believe. Only received one of the plants i requested. They are growing nicely now though! about 3 feet :)

I stuck mine in water for a few weeks to see if they would grow. Some didn't and started to die off. I took the cuttings that grew roots or more leaves and planted them. Some died off, some kept growing. I had to plant them indoors because my yard is full of grasshoppers/locusts that would have eaten the plants and killed them.

I ended up with one Styrian Golding, one Precoce de Bourgogne, and two Strisselspalt cuttings that grew roots and leaves. The tops of the plants have died off, probably because they are getting little sun and think it is winter. I am still watering them and they seem to be growing more roots. Once it gets cold enough to kill off the grasshoppers I am going to transfer them outside so they can root for the spring.

I requested more cuttings but I assume they probably won't show up until the late fall or winter, if at all this year. If you are going to request cuttings, ask for multiple sets of the same plant variety. Most will die before they can root so you want to increase your chances to have a plant survive. When you look at the varieties it should say if they are male or female. I think most of the popular brewing varieties are female but some of the wild American varieties are male or both.

I stuck mine in water for a few weeks to see if they would grow. Some didn't and started to die off. I took the cuttings that grew roots or more leaves and planted them. Some died off, some kept growing. I had to plant them indoors because my yard is full of grasshoppers/locusts that would have eaten the plants and killed them.

I ended up with one Styrian Golding, one Precoce de Bourgogne, and two Strisselspalt cuttings that grew roots and leaves. The tops of the plants have died off, probably because they are getting little sun and think it is winter. I am still watering them and they seem to be growing more roots. Once it gets cold enough to kill off the grasshoppers I am going to transfer them outside so they can root for the spring.

I requested more cuttings but I assume they probably won't show up until the late fall or winter, if at all this year. If you are going to request cuttings, ask for multiple sets of the same plant variety. Most will die before they can root so you want to increase your chances to have a plant survive. When you look at the varieties it should say if they are male or female. I think most of the popular brewing varieties are female but some of the wild American varieties are male or both.
yeah I received two cuttings. Planted both in the same smartpot outside. One was starting to grow new growth but was fried by an unusual 100* day a month ago. The other one was large enough to cope with the heat i guess.
Oh well cant wait to have fresh homegrown hops next year!

Yea, when I was looking, all the ones i picked are supposedly females, but this thread made me doubt that. Requested them last night.

Also going to try to get a couple rhizomes from some local people that grow in an effort to maximize my yield. Figured I could get the rhizomes in the ground now so they can start taking root, and then when first frost comes and the plant dies, i'll cut it to the crown, and then cover with mulch and compost.

Back