Growing hops FOR shade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Here's my short story. I live in Reno, Nevada. Our summers are hot (maybe up to 100 during the day, but normally 80's or 90's for a high). The house to the east just recently cut down all their trees. These trees provided a lot of privacy and shade for my yard. That's all gone.

I'm wanting to plant a fair amount of hops to provide privacy and shade. I already have cascade hops growing along the south side of my house (100% sun), so I know with plenty of water it can be done.

Here are my questions. I'll probably have more, but this is a start.

1. Any recommendations on hops varieties? Obviously Cascades do well, but I'm curious if there are other varieties that do better for shade.
2. What's the tallest hops can grow? I've seen them grow extremely tall when planted next to telephone poles. I assume there's optimal for cone production (not a priority here).
3. I've also noticed some varieties grown 15-20' tall seem to have thin bottoms and then "bush out" once they reach their max. Any way to encourage or discourage this?
4. Will hops follow a 90 degree angle? I've seen pictures online of them growing along the top of a pergola. For some reason I remember being told this isn't ideal. Would love more info on this!
5. Has anyone ever done a hops shade project? Any recommendations?
6. I'm thinking about using stainless steel aircraft cable as my "twine". I'm drawn to this because it's strong, will look nice, and last longer than I'll own the house. Thoughts on stainless steel aircraft cable vs. another material?

Thanks a bunch, I'll do my best to post photos and updates as this project progresses.

4. Yes, but you may need to climb up there and help them find it. when my hops reach the top they sort of flop over randomly.
6. Ive done this cause i had it left over from my job. Works well. But i only did it vertically. Lasted 2 years without issue before i moved.

I dont know when it gets hot there, but since hops grow from ground level each year, unlike say, grapes, they might not shade out early enough.

Here's my short story. I live in Reno, Nevada. Our summers are hot (maybe up to 100 during the day, but normally 80's or 90's for a high). The house to the east just recently cut down all their trees. These trees provided a lot of privacy and shade for my yard. That's all gone.

I'm wanting to plant a fair amount of hops to provide privacy and shade. I already have cascade hops growing along the south side of my house (100% sun), so I know with plenty of water it can be done.

Here are my questions. I'll probably have more, but this is a start.

1. Any recommendations on hops varieties? Obviously Cascades do well, but I'm curious if there are other varieties that do better for shade.

2. What's the tallest hops can grow? I've seen them grow extremely tall when planted next to telephone poles. I assume there's optimal for cone production (not a priority here).

3. I've also noticed some varieties grown 15-20' tall seem to have thin bottoms and then "bush out" once they reach their max. Any way to encourage or discourage this?

4. Will hops follow a 90 degree angle? I've seen pictures online of them growing along the top of a pergola. For some reason I remember being told this isn't ideal. Would love more info on this!

5. Has anyone ever done a hops shade project? Any recommendations?

6. I'm thinking about using stainless steel aircraft cable as my "twine". I'm drawn to this because it's strong, will look nice, and last longer than I'll own the house. Thoughts on stainless steel aircraft cable vs. another material?

Thanks a bunch, I'll do my best to post photos and updates as this project progresses.

1. Check out neomexicanus varieties (medusa, neo1, Amelia, willow creek) from greatlakeshops, I've had good luck with them in central Texas.

5. I use the hops to shade and give privacy to our master bath. They do a great job except after first freeze when they die back.

Anyone else have any variety recommendations? I'm afraid the neomexicanus varieties might not fair well in our winter, it get's cold here.

Some of the original varieties that were developed like Amalia and Multihead used genetic material that was found growing between 6,000 and 8,000ft up in the mts of New Mexico. I don't know that area at all but would think that the winters could get pretty rough at that elevation?

Some of the original varieties that were developed like Amalia and Multihead used genetic material that was found growing between 6,000 and 8,000ft up in the mts of New Mexico. I don't know that area at all but would think that the winters could get pretty rough at that elevation?

I agree, it likely gets cold there. Thanks!

I'm entering the 4th season of my patio 'hops for shade' project. they grow vertical for about 7 feet, then I have them doing a full horizontal run for about 20 feet. The max i've seen is my american varieties grow about 15 feet down this horizontal run last year.

Two things I would note from my experience: I have to train the hops to get them to wrap around the string, otherwise they just tend to grow up and keep trying to twist around nothing. not too hard with 4 bines once a week I spent a few minutes wrapping last weeks growth around the wire.

more important: the side arms can be long! last year my centennial had side arms that were like 7' long, luckily these were near the 'turn' in my system at the edge of my patio and not in the middle of the patio, but these would be majorly in the way in my patio with my lines at the current height. I didn't want to cut the side arms because i wanted that harvest.

So this year I'll be attaching the other side of my bines to a new spot about 15 feet higher up on the house, so they will be running along something like a 20-30 degree angle over the patio and not straight horizontal. I think this will eliminate the need to train them, and also hopefully keep those bountiful side-arms high enough so that they are out of the way of my patio.

Cheers and good luck!

I'm not sure but I dont think this will work. the plant needs something to grip onto, and I doubt it would find purchase as well along braided steel cable as it would along bailing twine or coconut twine. I use coconut twine and man that stuff has a billion really strong little furs coming off the string for the hops to grab.

With that said I'm curious to hear if anyone has had luck with that stuff, it would be nice if I could just leave that up year round and not have to redo the jute every year.

Anyone else have any variety recommendations? I'm afraid the neomexicanus varieties might not fair well in our winter, it get's cold here.

I'm pretty sure the neomexicanus varieties were discovered at altitude in New Mexico meaning they are used to the cold as well! Correct me if I'm wrong but this was my understanding.

I'm not sure but I dont think this will work. the plant needs something to grip onto, and I doubt it would find purchase as well along braided steel cable as it would along bailing twine or coconut twine. I use coconut twine and man that stuff has a billion really strong little furs coming off the string for the hops to grab.

With that said I'm curious to hear if anyone has had luck with that stuff, it would be nice if I could just leave that up year round and not have to redo the jute every year.

Google the difference between "bine" and "vine" to discover why your 1st statement is not necessarily true. A bine doesn't need to 'grip,' its stem wraps around things for stability...

But it 'accidentally' does grip and if you don't believe it, just go out and pick for a few hours in short sleeves, hahaha! Most folks learn the hard way~

Man I walked into one of the side arms of my bines last year, caught me right in the eye, luckily my lid closed but I had my wife digging hooks out of my eyelid with tweezers, not fun!

Interesting note on the bines vs vines. I would love to hear if anyone has successfully used the steel cables.

You may be able to get by in your first year because they sometimes don't get too big, but once they start putting out sidearms with lots of hops the increased weight will usually have them slipping down the wire. Rule of thumb is that if it's somewhat porous (not smooth), they'll be able to sink their hooks into it and climb away.

Back