growing hops next to the house...questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
So I just got some hops rhizomes and plan on planting them in the next few days. They're sitting moist in plastic bags for now.

I had a few questions.

1.) I plan on growing them next to my house. However, the space I have on the sunniest wall is limited by a 2nd floor eave about 12' up. I plan on using 2 eye bolts either screwed into the siding or some type of wood spacer coming off the siding for the top. But that being said, how much hops would a 12' plant produce in ideal conditions (AKA- is it a good idea to plant there?)? If 12' isn't good, I could plant next to my shed (7' high, but I could let them grow horizontally about 12'). So is 12' vertical or about 20' mostly horizontal going to offer the best yield potential?

2.) If I wanted to keep them from growing up to my eaves, do I have to trim them, or once they reach the end of the twine, will they naturally be unable to grow more?

3.) I plan on keeping the plants 5' apart, but how many shoots do I let grow up the twine? Just one? Can I have 2 separate lines like 6" apart for each plant?

Just some general questions. Thanks in advance guys. :mug:

1) This is my exact setup. I've got eye bolt hanging from the eaves. The rhizomes couldn't be planted further than 2ft from the house. One thing i do is thread twine thru the eye bolts at the top back down with a lot of slack. When the bines start to get towards the top, let out some slack, and eventually coil up the bottom of the bine on a wooden lathe off the ground. I effectively get 20' out of a 12' vertical.

Trellis.jpg

2) Once they reach the top, they'll grow up then hang down, if they don't take to anything.

3) There's some discussion based on how old your rhizomes are. If they're first year, many say leave all shoots to grow. After that trim to result in two bines per line. Personally, i've got two lines running from each mound, and two bines on each line, for four per rhizome.

Do not trim the growing end of a hop bine. Bines grow in phases and most of the flowers develop at the top after the bines stop growing naturally. I've had bugs chew off the tip of a few bines and they produce next to nothing.

1) This is my exact setup. I've got eye bolt hanging from the eaves. The rhizomes couldn't be planted further than 2ft from the house. One thing i do is thread twine thru the eye bolts at the top back down with a lot of slack. When the bines start to get towards the top, let out some slack, and eventually coil up the bottom of the bine on a wooden lathe off the ground. I effectively get 20' out of a 12' vertical.

Trellis.jpg

2) Once they reach the top, they'll grow up then hang down, if they don't take to anything.

3) There's some discussion based on how old your rhizomes are. If they're first year, many say leave all shoots to grow. After that trim to result in two bines per line. Personally, i've got two lines running from each mound, and two bines on each line, for four per rhizome.

Nice, thanks for all the info!

Do not trim the growing end of a hop bine. Bines grow in phases and most of the flowers develop at the top after the bines stop growing naturally. I've had bugs chew off the tip of a few bines and they produce next to nothing.

Very good to know! Thanks!

Back