Growing Hops in Tacoma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AE7XQ

Reaction score
Yesterday a packet of common hops (Humulus Lupulus) that I ordered via Amazon arrived. The instructions state that I needed to soak the seeds for 12 hours before planting. I started soaking them at 16:00 PST yesterday, and planted them at 04:30 this morning. Now, I only planted five seeds for now. I ordered 100, so I do have more. Should I have planted more seeds, or should that be enough for now? I have heard it said that growing hops from seeds is hit and miss. I am hoping that I can get at least one good bine going. I would appreciate any advice, as I want to do this successfully.:confused:

No experience growing from seeds, generally you grow them from rhizomes. It does stand out to me that you ordered an unknown variety which will make things interesting when it comes time to brew with them. Other than that, if you get some going, they are like weeds. Keep them well watered, especially the first year before their roots get developed and they will do fine in the PNW.

@AE7XQ,
What's your plan/goal? There are plethora of difficulties when starting from seed, but it can be exciting.

If you are starting a breeding program - or just looking for something to brew with - I would start quite a few more seeds. Even with the best luck, germination rates can be quite low. Of those that sprout, about half will be male. Then, many may not grow well or be prone to disease. Then, you have to find one with a good flavor...

I have a thread on growing from seed over here. Started with a few thousand seeds to get 500 sprouts. Currently working with the 8 that show the best vigor and flavor.

Cheers!

I am just looking to grow something that I can brew with. I will check out the posted thread link. This is all new to me, so it is a learning process.

In that case, I'd ditch the seeds and pick up a rhizome/start from a known variety you like.

You are in Wa correct? That is the #1 place to grow hops. You can probably pick up a rhizome at any local nursery or brew store. Where I live in Or, orders for hops are just starting and they should hit shelves in a few months.

I think new hop growers should have a year or two of just patience. Slow down. Watch your plants grow. Drink beer. See how the shoots come out of multiple places and what it's growing pattern is like. You will want to prune back some of the branches at some point. Get familiar with the twine/climbing/ hop hooks thing and how these plants like to go UP. Watch the process of how the flowers change and turn into cones for a season or two. Hop growing is about honing good gardening skills and not just getting a crop for a brew day.

(takes hand off grandsons shoulder..... and goes into the house for a beer :D )

There are a number of threads here about planting hops from seeds. One has that actual title and was the most recent until you posted. XD

Hops takes a long time to germinate. Without any stratification, you can expect about 5% germination over two months. 5 seeds is unlikely to yield you much. People have much better (~90%) results stratifying the seeds first for at least 6 weeks, many recommend up to 3 months.

Last year I sowed without any stratification, I've got about 7 plants from it (1 or 2 more germinated, but then died). I had used 144 seeds. This year, I'm stratifying them. :p

Back