Growing Hops in large containers in the ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barhoc11

Reaction score
I couldn't find an answer for this when I searched so hopefully someone can help me out...

Could I plant large pots into the ground and grow hops in that? I want to grow hops in an area that gets good sunlight next to my lawn and I am worried about the roots growing out too far and shooting up through my lawn. I figure that this would allow me to grow hops in a contained area and not let the roots go out under nearby grass.

Am I over thinking this?

My potted hops broke through the drain holes in the pots I was using. They rooted themselves deeply in the ground. From what I understand, only the top few inches are going the be the runners, where they produce shoots out of the ground. The rest are the roots. Non of the root structure produced any shoots of the potted plants. If you dug pots into the ground, you may want to leave a large opening on the bottom to not inhibit the downward root growth. I thought about doing this too, then decided to give them a raised bed this year. Now they are all comfortably planted in the ground and will stay there for good. Good luck!

A friend has hops in wood structures and they went right through. A local brewery is growing hops in full 1/2 barrel SS kegs, we will see how that goes. Mine are in the ground and every year I dig around the edge of the crown and stop the runners. After digging, I give the rhizomes to my friiends. Hop plants that are health will need a lot of room. Good Luck

Back