Grow Hops On Swing Set

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Romano

Reaction score
Hello!

I was given some 6 hop rhizomes and they are now in small pots and sprouting. I need to transfer them to 1/2 whiskey barrels or similar boxes as the only area in my yard I can put the hops is all rock (soil very shallow and non-existent mostly). I can't run the hop bines up my house (too easy!). So was toying around with the ideas of putting a used or new swing set in the yard, anchoring as best I can, and running bine twine for them to grow.

I had developed an elaborate design with 4 boxes, a collapsible pole in each box with a series of twine for each pole, but re-thinking and wondering if the "swing set" is a better idea?

Thanks!
Jim

Swing set is fine. Place like varietals on opposing sides and run an A-frame style twine trellis across the frame.

Set up also works well for pole beans, and cukes. Or, you could inter-plant long beans which will attract hornets/daubers and they will patrol the hops for pests.

Swing set is fine. Place like varietals on opposing sides and run an A-frame style twine trellis across the frame.

Set up also works well for pole beans, and cukes. Or, you could inter-plant long beans which will attract hornets/daubers and they will patrol the hops for pests.

Thanks GilaMinumBeer. Yes, I was planning on running the twine at the same angle as the legs - might even throw a chair or two in there - who knows! Also maybe a box on one or both ends. My biggest concern is anchoring. I can talk to HD about getting it secured to the ground. I imagine there is a chance it could tip over with high winds.

Unlikely. But, whatever you need to settle your mind.

You could drill a hole through the tube large enough to pass a 3/8" rebar hook through.

Would you run the twine down the other side and attempt to train them to go down? Certainly makes sense, but people claim it is tricky to train them down. What to do when they reach the ground? Looks like I have some research to do. Thanks.

Would you run the twine down the other side and attempt to train them to go down? Certainly makes sense, but people claim it is tricky to train them down. What to do when they reach the ground? Looks like I have some research to do. Thanks.

I'd set pairs of like varietals on both sides and allow them to entangle at the top.

:off: I had a mental image of hops growing out of a small container which was perched on a swing seat.
I was all "how are you going to keep it from tipping over?"

I guess I'm having that kind of day.

I'd set pairs of like varietals on both sides and allow them to entangle at the top.
Sounds like you've done this a time or two! I will continue to read (and youtube, etc), but it seems common to start a few strings per plant. So with your suggestion, I could put 2 pots cascade on the left and then 2 cascade on the right (across from each other) with 2 strings shaped in a slight "V" for each pot. Then just allow them to bunch up/entangle along the top. Then do the same with my remaining 2 pots of centennial.

Only downside to your expert opinion is that it doesn't seem like I would get an "enclosure" without a bunch of additional plants. No big deal.

BTW, for a single rhizome, it seems like ppl are planting in all sorts of pot sizes. Do you think a 24" pot is too much (whiskey barrel size). I've read the bigger, the better. Just that this is starting to add up. I've seen the root ball on 1 year plants (youtube) and wow.

And being in a cold climate (Upstate NY), it is imperative to bring the pots in for the winter. As you can tell, I am a newbie.

Tx

Sounds like you've done this a time or two! I will continue to read (and youtube, etc), but it seems common to start a few strings per plant. So with your suggestion, I could put 2 pots cascade on the left and then 2 cascade on the right (across from each other) with 2 strings shaped in a slight "V" for each pot. Then just allow them to bunch up/entangle along the top. Then do the same with my remaining 2 pots of centennial.

Only downside to your expert opinion is that it doesn't seem like I would get an "enclosure" without a bunch of additional plants. No big deal.

BTW, for a single rhizome, it seems like ppl are planting in all sorts of pot sizes. Do you think a 24" pot is too much (whiskey barrel size). I've read the bigger, the better. Just that this is starting to add up. I've seen the root ball on 1 year plants (youtube) and wow.

And being in a cold climate (Upstate NY), it is imperative to bring the pots in for the winter. As you can tell, I am a newbie.

Tx

I am no expert. But I did struggle with 14 varietals for a few years and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Select.

:off: I had a mental image of hops growing out of a small container which was perched on a swing seat.
I was all "how are you going to keep it from tipping over?"

I guess I'm having that kind of day.
See above - I have that concern also. I think I may need to explore how to secure to the ground, since I am essentially on rock. Tx

See above - I have that concern also. I think I may need to explore how to secure to the ground, since I am essentially on rock. Tx

Another idea. Drill a hole in the legs of the swing set. Use self tapping machine bolt through plumbers strap to form a loop towards the back. Bend 3/8" rebar to form a hook or U and drive said rebar through loop and into ground. That should be plenty sufficient, all source able at HD, and relatively inexpensive.

I will be buying some 12' 4x4s for the legs and a long 4x6 for the top beam. Looks like the whiskey barrels (6) are going to be my best bet for the plants.

I think this could make for an interesting and attractive setup...

FYI - Eastern Jungle Gym makes relatively affordable brackets that can be used to make the A frame shaped trellis.

Thanks for all of your help!

I have six plants in the whisky barrel size pots and they do excellent. I bring them inside the garage over the winter (still cold but not freezing) and put them out in late March. 4 are trained to a second story balcony and 2 are trained horizontally along a fence.

I have six plants in the whisky barrel size pots and they do excellent. I bring them inside the garage over the winter (still cold but not freezing) and put them out in late March. 4 are trained to a second story balcony and 2 are trained horizontally along a fence.

Hi VTX1300! Ya, I was considering moving them inside for the winter. Our winters are brutal in central NY.

Do you have them in the "standard size" 1/2 whiskey barrels (26"-28" I think)?

Do you have one plant per barrel?

How the heck do you move them and how much does each weigh?

They are currently in much smaller containers, but could stay in them for a little longer. I will not have the A-frame trellis built until July 6th weekend. Should I try to train them around sticks or bamboo (like 1 or 2 shoots per stick) now, as they are just starting to "flop" today. If I do this, I am little concerned about getting them into big barrels without damaging the plant! *sigh*

Lastly - I am sure you used mostly top soil in the barrels? Potting soil could get expensive. I will research but curious.

Thanks!

Hello!

Well here it is! I am happy with the results thus far. I do have some work to do next spring to improve the leveling of the trellis, but it is pretty sturdy. I can put a ladder against it without any issues.

As far as watering goes I have been reading that I should really soak the 25 gallon fabric pots ... on the order of 1/4 gallon per 1 gallon of pot, which is about 6 gallons. That seems really excessive. Any advice or if not, maybe a forum or source that help me with the pots?

And thoughts on possibly training the bines to go back DOWN once they reach the top?

I am a total newbie to hops, so any kind of advice/words of wisdom would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
IMG_5688[1].JPG

Back