Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
August 2nd is hoppy IPA day!

I did a hop bursted simcoe citra Amarillo with .5 oz of each at 15, 10, 5 & FO that unfortunately due to lack of impulse control got blotted out by too much bittering Columbus. Doing a planned First wort plus an extra spontaneous 90 minute was too much!

Too much is never enough! Did you brew this today or did you try it for the first time today?

All, did anyone get a sack of GW Organic Pils when they were supposed to get a sack of GW Organic Pale Malt? Seems the sack we had was not correct.

If nobody in the group buy got the wrong sack, it seems Country Malts messed up... I've PM'd Bill as well just in case this was a CMG screw-up as opposed to our own.

I believe Randar tried to open an account on behalf of his club and was told they were not accepting new accounts. You can always try.

This. I tried to open our account and was told they aren't accepting individual or homebrew club accounts. Perhaps you if you have a company or LLC or similar (that doesn't tip them off that you are a homebrewer) you may be able to create an account.

This. I tried to open our account and was told they aren't accepting individual or homebrew club accounts. Perhaps you if you have a company or LLC or similar (that doesn't tip them off that you are a homebrewer) you may be able to create an account.

I tried to recently open up an account with my bro's store info and got shut down! They are very keen to not open up too many accounts that could piss off the LHBS community. So, with that, thanks again to Bill for hooking us up. :rockin:

All, did anyone get a sack of GW Organic Pils when they were supposed to get a sack of GW Organic Pale Malt? Seems the sack we had was not correct.

If nobody in the group buy got the wrong sack, it seems Country Malts messed up... I've PM'd Bill as well just in case this was a CMG screw-up as opposed to our own.

I think I messed up, guys. Randy, I sent you a PM.

Too much is never enough! Did you brew this today or did you try it for the first time today?

No unfortunately it was brewed right after the previous group buy. I brought some last week and Bill and Polboy were brave (or :drunk:) enough to play "why does this beer suck"

Well if no one wants to step up I'd host a bbbq. however, I am not centrally located.

wegz15 said:
Well if no one wants to step up I'd host a bbbq. however, I am not centrally located.

I'd show up and even give a ride to RC0032 since we're both in the city and he hates to drive.

Wegz15, maybe you should start a new thread in the gatherings forum or whatever it's called.

Got my starsan. Thanks to bmason1623 for organizing and cyclogenesis for meeting up with me!

wegz15 said:
Just got results from my IPA I submitted. 1st place for IPA they will do best of show in about 4 hours.

Congrats. If it was the same as the One you brought to bill's it was great.

wegz15 said:

Not that your offer has been cemented, but whereabouts are you located? Either way, thanks for offering to host!

Has anyone had any success with coming up with a database or something similar for automating the group buy purchases? I made a mistake tallying up the bags in Randar's order. A database/program would have prevented this. Just curious. Thanks.

I haven't. I'm trying to lure my code jockey buddy over for a brew day today. Do you have server space thru your business or does anyone for that matter?

If we can't find a cheap or free space to host then worrying about a web interface is pointless. Like i said before I think I could cobble together a less smooth implementation of emailing or dropboxing files. If its too awkward people will get confused and it'll be more hindrance than help.

6L of yeast spun up... batch one is at full boil.

I do have server space so that's not a problem. I can even register a domain if needed. Just need someone who can write a program or something, and it cam be super simple too. I prefer functional over fancy. Tell your buddy I'll throw some of my swill his way if he does it.

bmason1623 said:
I do have server space so that's not a problem. I can even register a domain if needed. Just need someone who can write a program or something, and it cam be super simple too. I prefer functional over fancy. Tell your buddy I'll throw some of my swill his way if he does it.

I can have something working for the next group buy. Bill, I'll talk to you more about it in a bit.

Sorry for not getting back, I had a 1000 mile drive to the Albany area to deal with before I could get to work on it. Spreadsheet import complete, Data modeling and import complete, form for grain quote complete. Going to work on some UI quirks and calcs tomorrow and then push up a build for review.

cadwallion said:
Sorry for not getting back, I had a 1000 mile drive to the Albany area to deal with before I could get to work on it. Spreadsheet import complete, Data modeling and import complete, form for grain quote complete. Going to work on some UI quirks and calcs tomorrow and then push up a build for review.

!

Nice.

I'd show up and even give a ride to RC0032 since we're both in the city and he hates to drive.
I do hate driving :(

Who was generous enough to give yeast in the small blue vials? I need details on that!

RC0032 said:
I do hate driving :(

Who was generous enough to give yeast in the small blue vials? I need details on that!

That would be polboy.

starman, I thought that (during my countless beer samplings during pick up) that I mentioned that your beer tasted a little phenolic. Read the link below:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/beer-has-garden-hose-taste-330511/

Agreed. My favorite hypothesis was clorophenols resultant from spraying off the keggle and soaking the immersion chiller with garden hose water. I checked the IC today and pulling it out of a bucket it drained a good quart of water that probably went into the boil.

That said, deciphering my brew notes it looks like my impulsive :drunk: self used upwards of 4.5 oz of columbus for bittering additions for a 120m boil. If the hose water phenols didnt ruin that 5 gallons of beer, the bittering hops would have.

Thanks for the link!

starman said:
Agreed. My favorite hypothesis was clorophenols resultant from spraying off the keggle and soaking the immersion chiller with garden hose water. I checked the IC today and pulling it out of a bucket it drained a good quart of water that probably went into the boil.

That said, deciphering my brew notes it looks like my impulsive :drunk: self used upwards of 4.5 oz of columbus for bittering additions for a 120m boil. If the hose water phenols didnt ruin that 5 gallons of beer, the bittering hops would have.

Thanks for the link!

That's a lot of alpha acids...

Thats a lot of hops, even if it was 10gal batch its still a lot :), good news is that if your off flavor is from columbus it will fade away, i have amber ale and ipa with columbus, i could pick up it particular strong character and it was terrible to me, now after some time in the bottle its actually nice, not the best, it still have this thing i dont like but i can drink it and i can see how some ppl can actually enjoy this hop

Thanks for the link!

TheBreweryUnderground said:
The Pliny recipe calls for 3.5oz of Columbus at 90 and .75oz at 45 minutes. It's pretty crazy.

Not just Columbus, centennial and simcoe as well! And that doesn't include the almost five ounces of hops used for dry hopping.

Not just Columbus, centennial and simcoe as well! And that doesn't include the almost five ounces of hops used for dry hopping.

Thank goodness for group buys on fairly cheap pounds of all of these, I think I'll be brewing this up in the next day or two. The Hops Shack still has crazy cheap hops as well. When a pound of Columbus is $6 I don't feel so bad using 5 ounces of it in a single beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back