Group Buy in Chicago #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill- thanks again for setting this up. Sorry I couldnt stay longer but had a hockey game to get to and early AM flight outta town for vacation. Anyway it's appreciated!

Thanks to everyone that came out over this past weekend to pick up grain.

On another note, starman and I were discussing (he also posted about it earlier in this thread) on how great it would be if we had an online database where people could just log on and enter their own orders using pull down menus or something similar. Then the database would tally up the total amount of each order, the total amount of any specific item, etc. I certainly don't have the ability to do this. Starman thought he might be able to do it but he's not 100 percent sure it sounds like. I have an excel file with all of the items and pricing in the catalog so I'm thinking that would help. Any database wizards out there who would be interested in doing this? Just thought I would throw that out there again.

Thanks to everyone that came out over this past weekend to pick up grain.

On another note, starman and I were discussing (he also posted about it earlier in this thread) on how great it would be if we had an online database where people could just log on and enter their own orders using pull down menus or something similar. Then the database would tally up the total amount of each order, the total amount of any specific item, etc. I certainly don't have the ability to do this. Starman thought he might be able to do it but he's not 100 percent sure it sounds like. I have an excel file with all of the items and pricing in the catalog so I'm thinking that would help. Any database wizards out there who would be interested in doing this? Just thought I would throw that out there again.
If you can send me the spreadsheet I'll see if I can build a version to take orders and feed into a per-user order form this week.

cadwallion said:
If you can send me the spreadsheet I'll see if I can build a version to take orders and feed into a per-user order form this week.

PM me your email address. Thanks.

Bill I haven't programmed in a while, however no guarantee...but I will take a stab at this as well. Do we want users to have a login etc for editing and modifying their orders prior to quote time etc/cut off I assume

louie0202 said:
Bill I haven't programmed in a while, however no guarantee...but I will take a stab at this as well. Do we want users to have a login etc for editing and modifying their orders prior to quote time etc/cut off I assume

I don't think so. I'm thinking that once they are given the link they can enter their contact info, grain desired and quantity. I think the pricing should be locked as well as the ability to change other people's orders. If this could be made into a google document then that would be really nice.

Its been 15 years since I played with Access so im pretty foggy in terms of implemention.

Ideally database should pull item ID, item description, sack size (50 or 55lbs) and tiered prices per pound from a table that only Bill can edit. They do change prices so it should be reasonable to update. Maybe it makes more sense to split the grain table from cleaners, hops, and spirals.

The user would use combo boxes to select item by ID (ex. BZ-WHT) or description (Best pale wheat) and quantities to create an order record.
opefully it could generate a preliminary report showing the total including shipping, fuel surcharge, and PayPal fees.

Reports showing Buyers preliminary orders, final orders, compiled group order bill can use for request for quote, as well as full itemized for delivery day should be easy to generate.

If I had access to Access I could probably muddle thru this locally but have no idea how to do this online.

Problem is you then have to make the web front end...the access part is actually pretty easy. I did a shopping cart/ecommerce class which was actually like this. I only wish now I had saved that project. Might have to dust off some books and give this the old college try.

Randar picked up all of his grain in his Prius. We loaded the pallet with the fork lift on top of the roof. Actually, he showed up with two other friends/cars and they happily hauled away 42 bags, 3 pails of PBW, 10 gallons of starsan and 2 gallons of acid cleaner. They made a huge dent in the stock pile of grain. Nice guys too.

Special thanks to starman for segregating their stuff onto one pallet. This made marking off the pick up so much easier.

Ditto, Bill! Thanks again!

And extra thanks to Starman if he was the one to stack ours into one nicely sorted pallet. Bravo. We were able to distribute our grains within few hours (save a few stray sacks).

Oh, and a PSA: Splitting pails of PBW sucks. That stuff makes a nasty cloud of dust.

Bill sorry about this AM I was just walking out the door. Let me know next time and thanks!!

cyclogenesis and runbikeswim, please PM me your addresses so that distributor can fedex your starsan to you guys.

i have forwarded the shipping addresses to the distributor. once i get an update I'll post it here.

Thanks again Bill, it was great meeting you and the IPA was great! Lol my friend still won't try anymore beer though.

okey dokey, thebreweryunderground (nice guy) picked up his stuff about 20 minutes ago. this officially closes Group Buy #5. I know, I know...when's GB#6? Maybe mid to late October? This will be the last one until the spring at least as far as me running them. Just follow my threads for announcements of the next one. If anybody thinks that the time is ripe for another one mention it on here. Thank to all who participated and helped out. Happy brewing!

okey dokey, thebreweryunderground (nice guy) picked up his stuff about 20 minutes ago. this officially closes Group Buy #5. I know, I know...when's GB#6? Maybe mid to late October? This will be the last one until the spring at least as far as me running them. Just follow my threads for announcements of the next one. If anybody thinks that the time is ripe for another one mention it on here. Thank to all who participated and helped out. Happy brewing!

GB#6!! I love it and am already trying to think about the opportunity to pick up many different varieties of hops that will no longer be available in the spring because they will have run out by then.

we home brewers are absolutely out of our damn minds. enough is never enough for us.

I might be interested in jumping into this the next time around... what's an estimate of the additional costs per bag?

I might be interested in jumping into this the next time around... what's an estimate of the additional costs per bag?

Not sure what you mean by additional costs but a 50# bag of great western 2-row comes out to less than $30. Saaz is about $8/lb when you buy in 11 pound boxes.

Not sure what you mean by additional costs but a 50# bag of great western 2-row comes out to less than $30. Saaz is about $8/lb when you buy in 11 pound boxes.

I just wasn't sure if there were any delivery expenses that had to be added in. Looking at the catalog I saw delivery price per pallet, fuel costs, something else....

I just wasn't sure if there were any delivery expenses that had to be added in. Looking at the catalog I saw delivery price per pallet, fuel costs, something else....

I gotcha. that price I mentioned includes all of the additional charges.

This sounds very nice :mug:

follow this thread for the next buy. all *we* ask is that if you order grain please have every intent on paying in a timely fashion. Delivery is at my place around Cicero/Grand.

Maybe I'll take a shot at brewing a pumpkin ale and have it ready for next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back