Gross bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylansDad

Reaction score
Hi,
I think I'm okay on this, based on a quick search I did but I'd rather ask just in case I is read other threads:

I didn't rinse out a bunch of bottles until weeks after drinking from them. Of course some of the bottles had quite a, well, collection of friends/growths at the bottom.

I hand washed in warm water with regular dish soap and now the bottles look like new. I'm going to put them in the dishwasher tonight. I'll throw them in a sanitize bath on Saturday since we bottle on Sunday. Will these bottles be okay? Or am I just overly paranoid since it's my first time bottling? :confused:

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Don't sanitize till you are bottling...while the priming sugar is boiling sanitize them....unless you are going to keep all of them in a tub of sanitizer overnight, you don't want them to dry out...the sanitizer are wet contact sanitizers...as long as the surface of the glass is wet then they kill anything getting in..

When I have friends growning in my bottles, i soake them in a hot bath of oxyclean, then rinse out with my jet bottle washer, to make sure all the orgainc matter is gone...is sounde like you did a thorough job of washing them...just make SURE you rinsed the soap thoroughly out of the bottles or you won't get any head formation....

You are being overly paranoid. One of the nice things about glass is that you can get it absolutely clean no matter how bad it was when it started. Once you have cleaned them, they are good to go with sanitizing and bottling.

You are being paranoid - however - I just toss out a bottle that looks funky. I have many friends that owe me bottles.

You are being paranoid - however - I just toss out a bottle that looks funky. I have many friends that owe me bottles.

I have had bottles with 1/4" of mold and slime in the bottom of them and used them. I toss them in the tub with hot water and a scoop or two of Oxyclean. They come clean and the labels come off!. Then rinse and sanitize and you are golden.

John

I have had bottles with 1/4" of mold and slime in the bottom of them and used them. I toss them in the tub with hot water and a scoop or two of Oxyclean. They come clean and the labels come off!. Then rinse and sanitize and you are golden.

John

Thanks for the info guys. I just need to consume 18 more beers between now and Sunday and I'm good.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Back