Grisette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Electrake

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this recipe, brewing it over the weekend. Eager to share some thoughts about it post fermentation.

6 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
2 lbs Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 2 25.0 %
0.50 oz Hallertau Blanc [7.70 %] - First Wort 30.0 min Hop 3 11.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Hallertau Blanc [7.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 4 4.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 min Hop 5 11.2 IBUs

yeast- Belle Saison.
Always finishes under .998 for me, looking for a super light, easy to drink champagne like beer under 5%

Looks like a delicious warm weather beer. What are your fermentation plans?

I'll be fermenting it ambiently in the house, generally upper 60's to low 70's, for a mild ester production

How did the above brew turn out?

My next brew will be a Grisette, somewhat based on what I found here:
http://www.horscategoriebrewing.com/2016/10/what-is-grisette-part-ii-updated-and.html

My recipe will be something like this:
Looking to make a 4% or so beer.
79% Viking (European) Pale Malt
14% European Wheat Malt (Weyermann or Viking)
7% Flaked Wheat (US)

Hops will be Saaz or something similar. I have some old homegrown Brewer's Gold, this may be a good brew to use some of them.
I Also have Willamette, Santiam and Strisspalt hops available, not sure what would be the best combination with the fruit addition, below:
I need to use up peaches that are in my freezer, so I'll be adding 1-1.5 lbs. (or more) per gallon in secondary.

I may split the batch after primary and boil some of the peaches to reduce the water content and also use some of the peaches as they are.
It would be interesting to taste the difference cooked peaches would provide.
I'm expecting to get a tartness from the peaches, which would work well with a Grisette, and maybe a hint of flavor/aroma.

Yeast will be WL American Farmhouse blend.

So I guess this will really be an American Farmhouse Grisette inspired fruit beer.

I've had a few commercial examples of Grisette and listened to some podcasts on the subject, but this will be my first time brewing one.

This is an experimental brew, trying to use up what I have on hand, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Back